out of the oil patch

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by skeeterbilt cfh, Oct 10, 2016.

1. skeeterbilt cfh

skeeterbilt cfh Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2016
    After 3 years of commercial driving in the texas oil fields I'm officially out. I've done everything from hauling produced water and service work for pumpers and crude haulers to hauling frac sand. As you all know the last year has been a rollercoaster with pay half of what it used to be and drivers cutting each others throats. Having to work for #### companies who could care less if you stay or go because there's a hundred other hands fighting for a spot. After getting called in yesterday at 7am and sitting in the yard till 2pm for a $80 dollar load that would have took another 5 hours to do I said to hell with it! Turned my fr's in told dispatch thanks for calling me in for nothing and left. I'm going to give otr a try see some different scenery for a while try something new. The barrel price is rising but I think I'm going to wait till its 70 a bbl before I jump back in the patch. Sorry for the long post just had to rant a bit. All you oilfield hands still hanging in stay safe and best of luck to you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 4x4_Welder

4x4_Welder Medium Load Member

Sep 16, 2014
    Eastern Orygun
    I know what you mean, I left at the end of 2014. The company I was at slowed way down, and options were pretty limited.
    I'll probably go back to it when things pick up again too, but in the New York/ NE PA region.

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Pricing is rising.

I feel your frustration at sitting so much for so little.

Don't worry your post is not too long compared to some.

I hope you can find work in the future without too much trouble when you get to it. quitting under dispatch can be damning if you did this under a OTR dispatcher. They will make sure to carefully and precisely screw you over really good without benefit of vaseline.

5. O.Henry

O.Henry Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    San Antonio,TX.
    And for me also. Good by Oilfield (patch),hello Crete Carrier.Waiting on Orientation date.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. skeeterbilt cfh

Feb 5, 2016
    Did Crete have a pretty good offer?

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. plater1

plater1 Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2011
    back in NY
    I gave up on the West Texas oilfield about a year ago and moved back to NY. When things pick up again i want to stay around NY/PA/OH/WV. I ran sand up here a few years ago and did ok, just not Texas OK. The scenery is 1000% better in PA even if the money is not.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. skeeterbilt cfh

Feb 5, 2016
    Had a bunch of friends that came out of pa the winters are to cold for me up there lol

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. Mookybird

Mookybird Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2015
    I left Mckenzie county..ND last April and was fortunate enough to find an outfit that let me learn how to run a dump truck and pup. Pretty happy with it..pay is by the hour..a mix of prevailing wage and regular hourly..so far averaging 39 an hour.

Working in the woods mostly..home at night...although sometimes it's pretty late. Oil patch driving is similar which gives you a shot at getting hired..I'd recommend doing some crails list searches aND see if there's work in your home area. There will be some down time this winter but I'll collect unemployment and am looking forward to it.

skeeterbilt cfh Thanks this.
  10. Haystak88

Haystak88 Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2012
    FL
    Where is this at?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.