out service violation

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by atlasvanlinesdog, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Colorato

Colorato Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2011
    This would be a good one in court. Since you were BT they can't say you were on duty because you were in the drivers seat.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    All of these are interesting thoughts.

However, since the log book was not current, there is no proof he was off duty.

He was driving the truck and therefore in an act of duty. Most likely, with such facts, DataQ will not do anything about it.

Dinomite Thanks this.
  4. EZX1100

EZX1100 Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2012
    get this DOT clown wants to write me a ticket for not signing the log for the current day

i look at him and say, i am supposed to sign it at the end of the day

he says, you are right

another one, NYC, tells me that i am supposed to put my logs in Eastern Time when I am in NYC even though the home terminal was Central

these guys hardly know what they are doing half the time

5. Colorato

Feb 22, 2011
    To the OP Did you just not show him a log book or was it not current? And if it just wasn't current to last stop then your actually lucky you didn't get hit with a whole lot more points than you did. If you didn't show it at all it's because you knew it wasn't right and let this be a good wake up call

6. Dinomite

Dinomite Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Looking 4 Rocks
    Plain and simple. You can't fight anything. You messed up, and you have to deal with the consequences. Still don't think you will have a problem getting hired by anyone. Just move on, and learn from your mistakes.

7. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    This is what a d.o.t. officer & my safety dept told me about bobtailing. if you are driving just the truck & you are NOT dealing in commerce. the truck is as considered your personal vehicle. unless you are driving a work related drive. the d.o.t. told me for example... if you get stopped & say I am driving to get a bite to eat, or going shopping, he cannot write you up for not having a log book, however, if you say you are going to pick up parts for truck or trailer or something of the nature of work, then they can write you up. it's all in the wording you use when questioned. this is what I was told. but then, you get somewhere else & the d.o.t. has a different version of what is a violation.I know been there too.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  8. atlasvanlinesdog

atlasvanlinesdog Bobtail Member

Nov 9, 2012
    I did show it, but was not current, (7 days),

9. Colorato

Feb 22, 2011
    Then you actually got lucky. Because I'm sure he could have got you for other stuff as well

10. Colorato

Feb 22, 2011
    Yup. But if its always done its never a problem.

11. EZX1100

EZX1100 Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2012
    i cant believe you

he messed up how? off-duty you dont need a logbook

please share with the class what mistake he made

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.