over under problems with my eaton

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by pats-t800, Oct 9, 2011.

1. pats-t800

pats-t800 Bobtail Member

Oct 9, 2011
    I have a eaton rto14715 15 speed transmission and the over under on the shifter grinds when I try to use or shift it to the high range. I am just starting my own rig but it would be nice if I could get all the gears to work, anyone has info on what I should look for? I can't find the schematics for my 15 speed either.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Eaton Service Manual

A couple things... this manual shows only the RTX, not the RTO, at least in the list on the cover. The only difference is in the main box shift rail setup, so no worries there. Also, are you even going to use the DR gears? They are largely superfluous on-road.

But first check needs to be the air supply, a dirty filter can cause this by limiting the force applied by the actuator as it moves.

Good Luck!

4. Hanadarko

Hanadarko Independent Owner/Operator

Oct 1, 2009
    Midwest
    Air supply...or perhaps this:

I just had my servo piston assemblies replaced on my Eaton 13speed.
    They are like $20 in parts.
    My issue was sluggish shifting Hi/Lo range or into Over.

Never had any grinding though...

5. pats-t800

pats-t800 Bobtail Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Thanks for your reply, yes I do use those gears, where I haul there are alot of hills with streetlights that seem to tartet me when I am approaching them uphill.

6. kwforage

kwforage Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I have the same tranny except a direct, no O.D. Mine did not split real well the first few weeks after it was rebuilt, but has worked itself in now and splits great. I would guess yours is an air supply issue, or maybe a sticky valve. I would pull the filter out of the regulator on the back of the trans and see how it looks.

Heres what it looks like, exept it's upside down in the pic for some reason.
    [​IMG]

7. bubbanbrenda

bubbanbrenda Road Train Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Middletown,Oh.
    Mine did that, took it to mech it was syncronizer on the bull gear (and the bull gear was nicked up pretty bad).Parts and labor about $350.00 give or take.

8. KW Parts Guy

KW Parts Guy Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2011
    aktundratugger Thanks this.
  9. CASCADIA007

CASCADIA007 Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2016
    Hi, I have FRO15210C , air is leaking on top of the transmission by the shifter.
    I changed the oring. I saw a pink air line and unhooked it and the air went to normal, but every time I reconnect the line the air goes down and the high and low won't function.

Any HELP Please?
    Thank you.

10. maggard359

maggard359 Medium Load Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Florida
    Fro has module on top I believe but the range selector is under top plate. If you get water to that cylinder it will corrode and stick.

11. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    maggard is correct. You have to have the top plate removed and the selector is easily rebuilt with a kit from Eaton. Any reputable transmission shop could do it in a couple of hours.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.