Overheating issue.

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by nhramember, May 4, 2016.

1. nhramember

nhramember Light Load Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Hello everyone, I am baffled by my truck . I have a detroit 60 series and the engune temperature is going up to 200 degrees while i run the fan. I flushed the stop leak from my radiator that i had put in before i just got my overhaul done. The problem is driving down the highway the temp wants to go pass 200 if i go over 70 . If i reduce speed to 60 it cools down to185 . Is it possible hose could be collapsing. It idles at normal temperature. I noticed the air hose of the compressor almost rubbed thru and im gonna replace it. I have put a new water pump on as well.? Im trying to not throw money at it to solve the problem. The inframe is a week old. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks nate

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Why did you add stopleak with a brand new inframe? Likely you've already gummed up your thermostats

mitmaks Thanks this.
  4. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    In my opinion stop leak is a last resort get you home fix and it does not always flush out. Seasons are changing and your problem could be unrelated to everything you thank of because it was a preexisting condition. My radiator man told me, 25 or 30 years ago, a bad radiator will cause the engine to run hotter the faster you go.
    Dirt build up on the air side of the cores and or between the a/c, air to air, and radiator can do the same thing. Some times that is impossible to see from the outside looking in. If the engine is running hot, the radiator inlet is hot while it's outlet is cold, it is a bad radiator. Just some thoughts and maybe use the search block, top right of your screen, to broaden your thanking. Would like to know what you find or hear other questions.
    Don't settle for half fixed because if it is inframe related and runs long enough to get off warranty it is on you.

5. nhramember

nhramember Light Load Member

Apr 2, 2012
    This was before inframe that i added stop leak and i flushed system throughly this weekend . Water was clean running through.

6. Retired2015

Retired2015 Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2016
    If its a hose collapsing, you should be able to see it if you rev your engine up at the engine and watch the hoses.

7. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Remove the condenser and the CAC and use a blow gun on the (dry) radiator to blow the dirt out of the core. You will be amazed how much dirt comes out.

Rinsing it with water does not work (ask me how I know). It only turns the dirt into concrete and plugs it up worse.

I chased this very problem on a Pete with a Cat and, unsucessfully, threw all kinds of parts at it. Blowing out the core solved it.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
    Reason for edit: punctuation
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.