Overweight ticket in IA

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by HCH, Apr 22, 2015.

1. HCH

HCH Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2015
    I dispatch trucks for a small family owned trucking company. I had two drivers hauling from an elevator in SD to Council Bluffs, IA. With this being the first time hauling grain into IA, I had the understanding that interstate could be taken as long as the facility being delivered to was right off of the interstate, so I instructed my two drivers to load to 94,000. They were a couple of hours behind each other on the route. The first driver was given the green light at the weigh station along I29 in IA and the other was allowed through too but was then stopped and ticketed for being overweight approximately 3 miles down the road. After some further research, I understand now that this is only allowed up until Sioux City, IA, in which secondary roads are to be taken after that. Do I have any case to dispute this ticket due to inconsistency from the weigh station when both trucks would have been loaded with the same weight?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FatDaddy

FatDaddy Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Katy, TX or Swedesboro, NJ
    Your argument is gonna be since one guy got away with it so should the other? Lol...if you argued that case to me I'd say fine....pay double

4. 315wheelbase

315wheelbase Heavy Load Member

Oct 26, 2014
    fed law tells sates they must follow fed weight laws on interstate,,34K on 80K with 5 axles ,,costly learning experience

5. Arkansas

Arkansas Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2014
    LA- Lower Arkansas
    Unless you know somebody who knows somebody I'd say your probably gonna have to pay it an move on.

6. mnmover

mnmover Road Train Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Lichfield MN
    Did you have 6 or 7 axles and over 80,000 is allowed only off the Interstate with proper permits. I think they allow it to Sioux City so the livestock and agricultural haulers from SD and west can get to unload. Other than that even UPS goes across the SD state line to hook triples. I thought Iowa was 90,000 on 6 axles and 96,000 on 7 axles.

7. HCH

HCH Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2015
    7 axles and permitted in IA for 98,000

8. ramblingman

ramblingman Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2014
    I pulled these twin 38's in SD legally grossing 154k for a little bit hauling grain and whatnot around SD intrastate for the most part as the only other state that allows them is WY as far as i know.

[​IMG]

The rule as I understood it is we were allowed into Sioux city,IA to access the rail yards, but not past sioux city,IA. We weren't allowed in IA at all past that point because of our Size and weight. You should have been good on the two lanes up to I wanna say 98k is IA's state weight limit if you can legally axle it out. Don't qoute me on that though.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.