Owner operator break even points

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by monstertrucking1, May 26, 2015.

1. monstertrucking1

monstertrucking1 Bobtail Member

May 7, 2015
    Columbus, ga
    **Yes this post is from a trucking company. NO we aren't trying to hire you**

This is a genuine effort to try and see what the market is paying an owner operator who is gone Sun/Mon-Fri and home on the weekends. 53' dry van. One drop, one pick, no driver tough. Both % of revenue or $ per mile is acceptable. What revenue per week are you breaking even? etc. Just trying to find out what the ballpark figures out there are. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    No two trucks running down the road have the same break even point.

truckon, flood and unloader Thank this.
  4. monstertrucking1

May 7, 2015
    Columbus, ga
    I agree, which is why I was wanting to see what everyone's break even was. I am assuming most O/O's know how much they have to make per mile to break even. (Or at least I would hope they do)

flood Thanks this.
  5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Well that depends ... Am I doing my shorter runs and only averaging maybe 7-8,000 per month? Or am I on my long runs doing sometimes 12-14,000? East coast tolls?

6. monstertrucking1

May 7, 2015
    Columbus, ga
    No east coast tolls and gone from sun/mon-Fri so short runs.

7. 63mph

63mph Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2014
    Lawrenceville, GA
    U will never have a break even point in a business as unpredictable as this. But if u want an Estimate, u may want to include more details about ur company. The last two years, it cost me 120k each year to run my MCA with about 100k miles per year. That's 1.20 before utilities, family, etc. And i was home every weekend.

8. monstertrucking1

May 7, 2015
    Columbus, ga
    $1.20 a mile like you said is what I was looking for. How much does it cost you in truck payments, gas maintenance etc in a year. Before salary. So in your instance if you made $1.60 on all miles you would have had a "salary" of $50K

9. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    as a O/O my break even point is MY business not yours....

what it sounds like to me is you are trying to find out just how cheap you can get driver- O/O to pull your loads..... i don't do CHEAP

this as in most cases you get what you pay for.... you want cheap that's what you'll get.... you want good safe service you need to pay for it

Last edited: May 26, 2015
    bigdogpile, 77fib77, cmbks21 and 3 others Thank this.
  10. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    :happy1:

Everyone's costs are different. I try to shoot for the minimum of $1.80/mile range on loads when OTR. Average TTT obviously takes a hit with deadhead, lanes and downtime.

11. monstertrucking1

May 7, 2015
    Columbus, ga
    This is not the case at all. If I can get a range for what the break even is then I can have a better idea of what to offer owner operators as a good price and know what is too low and what is too high. I wouldn't mess with someone who takes too low of a price because I want quality drivers and the quality drivers know their numbers.

12. Lyle H

Lyle H Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    In another thread they are already posting numbers for wages.....
    Sounds like someone put the cart before the horse.
    My advice to anyone thinking about applying is to be very skeptical about anything they say.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.