Owner operator break even points

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by monstertrucking1, May 26, 2015.

1. jbatmick

jbatmick Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    hastings, Fl
    I run local, pulling a flat.Agricultural products. Home every night, usually by 5 pm.Over the year, average 4 1/2 days a week, but sometimes will work 7.Take time off anytime I want to, have others to cover for me. Winter time is very slow. It cost me $1.61 per mile to run last year ( hub miles ).My revenue was about $ 2.56 per hub mile.Older, paid for equipment. Average about 950 miles a week, ran 51 weeks last year.
    This year my cost per mile is down, revenue per mile slightly up.

I have a good gig, but it took a while to get it set up. Key is doing what the shipper / receiver wants done, when he wants it done, how he wants it done. Keep the customer happy.

monstertrucking1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I'm thinking for an O/O, 78% should be the least amount you offer, but if you are discussing overpaying people, then asking questions like these are not going to get you the right answers to justify your rates you want to offer because you are already assuming that you are overpaying them.

This morning my driver called me and I asked him what his average was on the truck, dry van go anywhere price - it is $2.97 for the past week all inclusive. He said he has refused a bunch of offers at $2.25 all inclusive because the FSC was too low. So this is an average and for some reason any O/O working under $2 as a regular thing seems to be working for nothing.

4. 315wheelbase

315wheelbase Heavy Load Member

Oct 26, 2014
    If you are not paying at least $1.68/mile and averaging 2500/wk then you are not paying enough,,and you pay all insurance except bobtail ,you pay IRP too.
    Pay less and you get what you pay for ,,junk trucks and poor quality drivers,

5. SL3406

SL3406 Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Why don't we go at this from a different angle. What is your O/O average gross to the truck per year, and how many hub miles are they running a year to earn that revenue? Post your numbers, and we will let you know if you're over paying them.

6. bigdogpile

bigdogpile Road Train Member

May 16, 2010
    fontana ca
    If you aint trying to burn,ripoff,scam,or short the drivers to increase your profits,you aren't trying hard enough.."Come on" man!!!!lets get it together so you can roll around in a vette or a beamer...

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  7. blanco

blanco Road Train Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Gwinnett County, GA
    If someone isn't into trucking, maybe they should play at trucking? :mad:

8. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    So you want to know your driver's BEP and then you will be the one to decide how much over over that he well need to feed his family? How altruistic of you, not.

You brokers are always focused on Truck BEP, we drivers are always focused on Life BEP. It's so much more than paying the bills and eating this month, we have to think about the next truck to drive and the new car(s) for the wife on down the line, retirement and leaving something for our heirs.

skman Thanks this.
  9. monstertrucking1

monstertrucking1 Bobtail Member

May 7, 2015
    Columbus, ga
    Contrary to po
    Ill close this thread out by saying this. When I asked for a range of break even points, I wasn't trying to figure out what my drivers break even points are so that I can pay them less.I was trying to figure out what someone with new equipment in the northeast verses someone with new equipment in the southeast or northwest break even might be. I was trying to figure out if you had older equipment and what area you were in, what your Break even might be. If I were trying to cheat my drivers by finding this information I would just tell them I was cutting their pay and they would probably leave. I wouldn't do that though as our drivers are the most important thing to this company and are paid well.
    It seems as if most of the people on here have been burned by brokers or trucking companies before and are showing their scars too easily. I
    I never said or implied that you should work for break even dollars. If you told someone, even your employer, what your break even point is, that doesnt mean you have to work for less money or for your break even. If anyone offers you something you think is too low you simply tell them no.
    Be smart out there folks. Every situation isn't a "Gotcha" scenario.

truckon Thanks this.
  10. Jerry12

Jerry12 Heavy Load Member

Sep 9, 2014
    Keep it simple: $2.00 per loaded mile avg.

monstertrucking1 Thanks this.
  11. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!

Yup, thats what they have been used to for the past few centurys. They seem happy enough.

Ruthless Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.