OWNER OPERATOR DUMP TRUCK PAY

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by jpgale22, Oct 17, 2016.

1. jpgale22

jpgale22 Light Load Member

Apr 12, 2016
    WHAT IS THE AVERAGE GROSS PAY THAT A DUMP TRUCK OWNER OPERATOR SHOULD MAKE??
    I plan on getting a 48 foot dump trailer just trying togather all the information i can??

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    $65.00 per hour in Pennsylvania.
    Hardly justifies owning a truck.

4. Agtrucker

Agtrucker Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2011
    48' dump trailer?

SL3406 Thanks this.
  5. W900AOwner

W900AOwner Heavy Load Member

Jul 2, 2014
    That's gonna be a nail bitin' SOB to dump unless you're chained down to the ground....:eek:

DougA and Ruthless Thank this.
  6. 59MackB61

59MackB61 Light Load Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Is that a tandem tri or quad?

The quarrys pay by the ton so a Legal 5 mile haul pays around $3.00 here which avgs about $45 depending on traffic may average 2 trips per hour that's quarry time, travel, site time, travel

Same with asphalt by the ton. If you can get on big jobs or negotiate for hourly pay. Know what your bottom dollar (actual cost of ownership and expenses) is then add at least $10 to that. If that's more than the going rate find a cheaper truck, pay yourself less or figure out how to cut you cost with out effecting the bottom line. If you can't don't get in to dump trucking right now.

If you can't afford to leave it parked you are not going to make it in this economy, most pays are 3 weeks to 30 days plus weather dependant so a week of rain now has you at 5 or b 6 weeks. If I was younger, single and whatever eles you need I would chase train derailments. With a quad or long bridge triaxle

7. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Six axle pays $115 an hour....

Most stuff is by the ton tho ... And their ain't a lot of work now.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It's not the gross you should make, but enough per load to cover your costs.

My boss usually had to pay for so many tons of rock, fuel for the day's work, total of rocks for that day's paving project and the payroll of his entire crew including himself and fuel for everything else in his business. As long I brought him his rocks with the dump in a amount payable by the customer recieving a new parking lot or driveway in a amount excess of costs, it's a good profitable day.

I don't know what 100 tons of stone costs after I deliver that to him on the job site but that is his bill to pay, not my problem.

Im not sure what he grossed a year doing that it's varied from 100K all the way to 300K some years. Enough to knock off and go on unemployment winter time and be rested for spring paving.

9. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    I'm curious. What does that mean?

Blackshack46 Thanks this.
  10. 59MackB61

Sep 12, 2012
    A friend of mine has several trucks that work all around the US doing derailment clean up. Belive it or not derailments occur daily, we only hear nationally about the big ones.

I have no desire at this time in my life to chase the wrecks although super money. If I was single I would as I would not have to worry about home time and I would enjoy the traveling and top pay

11. 59MackB61

Sep 12, 2012
    You are talking asphalt I referring to dump truck in general. I don't do asphalt work because it is by the ton usally does not pay well and the truck sets alot due to over booking. If they book 6 trucks when 3 will do and keep up, guess what I work all day for half the money. If I need to make say $80 per hour although I make that for 4 hours and sit for 4 well I only now made $40 per hour see where I am going with this.
    Asphalts compaines who do make lots of money doing it is because a 3 inch lift is only 3 inches on the edge.
    I had a guy stop by awhile back and said he was working in the area and had 6 ton left on his truck from a previous job. How do you have 6 ton of asphalt left over if this is something that you do everyday so I told him no. Went down the road hitting up all the neighbor's up until he found someone.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.