Owner Operator Mistakes You've Made, Lessons Learned

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Admin, Aug 22, 2012.

1. blanco

blanco Road Train Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Gwinnett County, GA
    Maintenance should be key!!!

We already change all belts, hoses, and alternators every 2 years. Wether they need them or not.

Buy quality tires. They pay for themselves in the long run. Michelins on steers. O/O must be anal about tire pressures.

We change the oil ourselves and grease the truck at our yard.

Buy a manual for your engine and find all the maintance intervals for different things.

Rockin&Rollin Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    Getting away from truck repair, how about some business-related CYA stuff.

• Assume the shipper, broker, consignee, service manager (check all that apply) are lying until it is presented to you in writing. Most times they are.
    • If your load has anything changing the rate (accessorials, OS&D, late fees, detention, etc) spell it out on your invoice in language even a 5 yr old can understand. If you can't do that easily, staple some pictures on it too.
    • Even better if you can manage to get that extra stuff included on an updated rate confirmation.
    • Carry a camera or smartphone that takes good quality pictures.
    • Ask your kids to show you how to operate it.
    • Make sure your camera or camera app works.
    • Make sure you can find, email, and print a picture you've taken by doing a test run at home.
    • If you can get on the dock, take pictures while you're counting. If not, at least snap before/after pics when the doors are swinging.
    • First impressions carry a lot of weight. If a customer or shipper acts crazy and/or irrational on first contact, it will certainly go downhill from there. Just say "no" to stupid.
    • Don't assume anyone has your best interest in mind, especially your best customers. That's your job, and yes, even the good guys will try to sneak one by you if you give them a chance.
    • If you're friends with them, be even more suspicious.
    • Keep backup copies of everything.
    • Keep a backup of your backup.

That is all for now LOL.

Ukumfe, lorha1159, wichris and 5 others Thank this.
  4. BretStep

BretStep Light Load Member

Sep 27, 2011
    LOL. There is an old saying, " BUY ONCE, CRY ONCE"

5. Crazy D

Crazy D Medium Load Member

Mar 18, 2011
    Homewood,IL
    The only thing I am commenting on is the middle quote. I'll explain why. I keep an airbag with me at all times. That is one of my parts. My airbag from my dealer is 179.00. Now I had 1 bag start leaking on a trip that I had to make the delivery no matter what. No biggie just pinch the line make it to where I need to and bam. Find a shop and get it replaced. Well I went to said shop and this whole ordeal ended up costing me 400 bucks. Needless to say I carry my own parts at least as mmuch as possible so they can only rape me on tthe labor.

Not too mention I dont know of too many napas open at midnight on a Saturday night. It's kind of like school either your prepared or your like this guy. But I'll bet he has an Xbox in the truck.

6. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Hahaha!! I like that, so true...

7. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Do NOT be afraid to spend money on repairs if the truck is already in the shop.

I had 12,000 miles on the oil change and was down for the day in the shop for kingpins. I got the oil change done. It's either do it now, or do it on the road and take down-time.

I had wished I could have also tossed in a pair of tie-rod ends in the truck since they had the cross-link off on the truck anyway. Would have saved me a labor charge for them as well as an alignment when they go out. I have to assume they have 720K miles on them.

8. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    There you go thinking. If I had a dolla....

:D

MNdriver Thanks this.
  9. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    the part that sucked was parts were available, just not till the next day from the parts house. Had we thought about it early enough in the day, it could have gotten us the parts.

Remember if you use a shop in an "out of metro" location, (I was in Alexandria MN, they get parts out of St Cloud or Minneapolis Metro areas), they HAVE to order parts by a certain time in the morning to get parts that day.

So if you KNOW you have to get something done, get it in at 7 AM when they open and they can order and receive parts THAT day.

A nice reason to get to know your shop really well.

10. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    I just learned a lesson this week. I have never had to call for service for over 12 years, with the exception of a tire repair, this was a first. power steering hose blew a leak, just before an exit. I walked inside & asked the only 2 women in the store if there were any parts stores anywhere in the area? NO! not for trucks or parts. but they did have a list of folks who did service calls for big trucks. I got a 3/4" by 2 ft hose put on for 325.00 $75.00 for service call $85.00 per hour with a 2 hour min, plus parts. if I had a phone that had internet access, I may have been able to find the napa store that was just 3-4 miles down the road, that the service man went to & called & had the hose made, since I had the tools to replace it. it would of cost me about 40 bucks, instead of over 300. but I have a phone I am used to, only 8 years old. but my kids tell me it's antique. so today I ordered me a smart phone, so I am better prepared.

MNdriver Thanks this.
  11. RHay

RHay Light Load Member

Sep 11, 2012
    any time I change out a hose I switch it to reusable ends and carry a couple lengths of different size hoses with me.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.