Owner operator without truck

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by trucker28truck, Jul 28, 2016.

1. trucker28truck

trucker28truck Light Load Member

Jul 28, 2016
    US mainland
    Hello truckers.
    I am a freshman here and i am blind as newly born kitty about truck business.
    I am planning to start driving a flatbed with gross weght not exceeding 26000 pounds with my regular DL, decided to try it to see if i will manage it and then might go for CDL.
    My question is, the company where i found a job told me i have to get my own DOT number for the truck that i will use(which belongs to company). The reason they said they dont want to be responsible for drivers fines and all traffic violations that drivers might have.
    So how this can affect me to be owner operator on company truck? what are cons and pros? how about taxation for cargo etc?
    And how this affect the company itself? do they pay less tax?
    What in my situation the best options are not to get involved into any tricks? with this DOT number?
    I dont know why but this explanation that they dont want to be liable for my traffic tickets is a bit strange.
    P.S. the offerd 40 cents a mile from the start.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

Are you going to do hotshot? Class 8 truck? I'm really confused....

NavigatorWife and Mudguppy Thank this.
  4. Blackshack46

What are you going to haul under 26000 pounds gross with a trailer? A box of pillows? Take out boxes?

This is so confusing, it's frustrating.

And then your a freshman? In school?

Gahhhh!

Mudguppy Thanks this.
  5. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    I do not know but he said 26,000 gross. Heck I used to put that in my little red wagon when I was a kid!

CruisingAlong and Blackshack46 Thank this.
  6. trucker28truck

trucker28truck Light Load Member

Jul 28, 2016
    US mainland
    I can't tow more than 10,000 lbs with a Class D.
    and max length can be up to 65 feet.
    Total vehicle weight cannot exceed 26,001 pounds as well.
    So this what i am allowed to do with my D class license.
    But my question was about other thing, why the company want me to register my own company and me to have DOT number? If i am a company driver, why i just cant drive for them without any company on my name like owner operator. I am kind of suspicious that they say traffic tickets are the reason why i have to register my own DOT number, may be taxes? may be anything else? Is anyone who has experience can share why the do this?

7. Blackshack46

Sounds like more than just no ticket responsibility. Sounds like they have drivers get their own numbers so they are completely free of anything you may bring on them.

Don't you need insurance in order to apply for a DOT number? Or is that just MC numbers?

Do you know how much 26,000 pounds is? How much will truck and trailer weigh empty?

I literally did not know hauling pillows and packing peanuts was such a big market.

8. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    I think he's trying to get into the pick up truck/trailer hot shot business. Running somebody's rig with his own DOT number. Yeah, I'm confused too.

Blackshack46 Thanks this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    hold on there.

anything with a pickup truck or similar hauling a gooseneck trailer up to roughly 26000 give or take is a CDL truck requiring a driver to hold a CDL.

If you plan to BUY a pick up with a 5th wheel and a gooseneck trailer to OWN it to hire out to haul other people's stuff to make a livelhood you are now a Motor CARRIER and REQUIRE a minimum of a DOT number, your authority, your insurance, on and on and on. This will also incur a 1099 with dear uncle sam on taxes.

If you plan to get a CDL, you need to be at a school licensed to teach you to drive a truck. Then the state will test you and issue a CDL to you once you pass.

But wait...

You also need a medical card from the doctor. And plan on hair follicle tests against your possible drug use going back months. And so on and on and on.

You will need endorsements to haul dangerous hazmat or similar.

There is a whole universe of trucking of all kinds here. Too much to condense further in my mind.

One thing at a time Sir. One step and the next step in time you will get to where you want to be.

10. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Hell, my truck and empty trailer weight more than 26,000

I think he's asking why he needs to get dot number and insurance. Well because it's your truck, your trailer. You're responsible for insurance, taxes, fuel and permits. I never heard of hotshots having company drivers, all owner op

11. Blackshack46

Your first paragraph is all I read. You are wrong. That is all.

MJ1657 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.