Paccar vs Cummins

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by TexasQM, Aug 13, 2014.

1. NRG

NRG Light Load Member

May 21, 2010
    Lloydminster AB
    Not sure of the newer ones. Was sure happy though to get out of that truck.

nofilter Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nofilter

nofilter Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2012
    WA
    my opinion: stay clear of the Paccar until large truck companies buys enough of them so there will be more places to have them repaired.
    Even if they (hypothetical) made a great engine (and I hear they have a great engine, very reliable, powerful, fuel economy.....), a single o/o would spend more to have it repaired then for the cummins and might risk being stranded long time waiting for parts or worst:
    garage might mess up many things or just keep fixing the wrong thing until they figure out exactly what the problem is if they are not knowledgeable with that engine, and that my friend is very expensive.
    This happened to some guy who had the exact same truck as me, an old Chevy Diesel Pickup 2500, with the exact same problems, I was lucky, I waited it out until they figured out the problem on his, it cost him a bundle.
    I changed mechanic.

blade Thanks this.
  4. notsonewb

notsonewb Light Load Member

Jul 29, 2014
    Cummins are tried and true , they been making durable engines a long time , as far as the BMW vs Chevy thing ? I take the Chevy might not be the fanciest but at least. Know what I'm getting .just my .02¢

blade and nofilter Thank this.
  5. Lyle H

Lyle H Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    I find it hard to believe that getting the valves adjusted had anything to do with your "jakes" working better. The Paccar motor uses exhaust brakes, not "jake" brakes.

nofilter Thanks this.
  6. petedog

petedog Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2013
    I have a 2014 paccar 500 hp 13 litre with jake brakes

nofilter Thanks this.
  7. Kenworth #1

Kenworth #1 Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Clarksville,TN
    I have a 2012 T-700 with a Cummins ISX-15 liter 450 hp,13sp, 3.36 rears. It weighs about 2000 lbs more than one with the Paccar motor. I have 12000 lbs on the steers, bobtail. But it runs great. lifetime mpg is 7.8 mpg.

nofilter Thanks this.
  8. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    Cummins for sure

nofilter Thanks this.
  9. jd2210

jd2210 Light Load Member

Oct 23, 2009
    I have 4 cummins trucks and one paccar truck so I feel the need to comment.

Cummins beefs: worst warranty in the world- terrible EGRs- terrbile fan hubs- tons of injector problems
    Cummins pluses: a lot places will service them- decent power band-
    Paccar beefs (so far): throws check engine lights like candy from a float at a fair- loud air compressor (and terrible compressor placement)
    Paccar pluses (so far): fuel economy is the best I have ever owned (20 trucks and counting), power is extremely good for a small block- double the kms before oil changes- warranty

Pick your poison, they all have issues. As far as power my mx is a 500/1850 (2015) and it pulls exactly the same as my 500/1850 cummins (2012), worse than my 565/1850 (07), worse than my 625 chipped 07, and better than my 500hp n14 (2000 fresh rebuild). The difference is where they generate torque. The Paccar can pull down to 1100 and the Cummins trucks like to be higher. I pull 145000 pounds and never shift out of 8th over on the highway on some fairly long pulls (I currently drive my MX truck myself). I pull hills in the bush in 5th over that my other trucks pull in 5th over as well. Both engine have very similar jaking power and both use identical DEF systems.

So far for me I'm liking the MX a lot more overall but I have only 4 months under my belt with it so far. Fuel is my big thing and right now the MX is burning 80 liters less a day on the same haul. The MX has not lost a load due to breakdown yet and by this point with my cummins trucks they all had lost loads.

I switched because I was tired of getting screwed on warranty but I might stay with Paccar because I like the engine so much.

I should note though that the early MX's around here have a horrible reputation for a number of things. (fuel lines especially) It seems in my neck of the woods 80% of the Peterbilts and 99% of KWs are now Paccars and those of us with 500s love them and guys with the 485s hate them with a passion.

I hope this helps

10. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    MX13 egr valve $2426.00 my shop cost!been doing this for alot of years and that is crazy.valve looks similar to cummins.

nofilter Thanks this.
  11. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Wow! Is that before "labor" and "shop supplies"?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.