Paccar vs Cummins

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by TexasQM, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Lucar

Lucar Road Train Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Texas

Maybe you should give "Steinbauer" a call. Google it.
    Paccar is only a 12.9, but they're about to launch a 15L for what I've heard.

DrtyDiesel Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 04SSHD

04SSHD Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2011
    Henderson, NV
    Cummins...both of our Paccar trucks have the ISX15 and I wouldn't have it any other way.

DrtyDiesel and poppapump1332 Thank this.
  4. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    Glad to see someone has a clue.

DrtyDiesel and 04SSHD Thank this.
  5. jd2210

jd2210 Light Load Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Update:
    I have now bought a second paccar engine and traded in my 2012 Cummins truck. The new one has not been in the shop yet for anything other than oil changes.

Some things not in my original post:
    1)the jakes are not as strong in hard downhills as my cummins trucks. There are several block roads that my paccar trucks need brakes where my cummins trucks don't.
    2) these paccars are the absolute best starting engines I have ever had in cold weather. I had one night in -39 that my espar didnt work and the truck fired up with ease (10-30 oil) I didn't know at the time that the heater hadn't cycled unit I saw the error code- (there was no way that it fired because the line was frozen solid.)
    3)check engine light on the first truck finally went away when they changed the fuel pump which was intermittantly causing issues- I lost 2 days. The problem would not show up in the shop and finally did when they went down the road with a load on and the computer diagnosing while we went.
    4) fuel consumption continues to be better with the MX but not as large of a difference in anything colder than -30.
    5) On VERY important note on a part that badly needs to be redesigned on the MX- there is a turbo sensor that freezes (happended to my truck once and 10 others that I know of as well.) When it freezes you have zero turbo which in the bush could be a killer at the wrong time. The fix is to cut it off from the fresh air intake and move it to be touching the block so it doesn't build up with ice. If there are any of you reading this that operate in weather colder than -30 call ThunderBay Kenworth and ask their service dept about the fix. They are doing it on all of their 800's now (seem to be susceptible to it the most)

nofilter Thanks this.
  6. BanditTrucker

BanditTrucker Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2011
    KS
    theres a reason paccar engines are cheap as hell

unreliable as hell and they know this witch is why they still allow cummins in their trucks cuz if not paccar would prob go bankrupt.

nofilter Thanks this.
  7. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck "Captain of the Ship"

Apr 7, 2007
    Woodstock, NB, Canada
    I bought a brand new 2012 Freightliner Coronado with a 500 Cummins (because I had an '06 379 with an ISX and LOVED it), and within 5 months the EGR valve had gone bad twice, it kept throwing high crankcase pressure codes (replaced the filter 3 times for icing issues, the housing kept filling with water then freezing solid), and after I gave it back and walked away from the lease it was determined that the turbo and ring pack had gone bad and the head was cracked. The whole intake was coated with oil on the inside. Fuel mileage was in the high 4s pulling dry van. In the 5 months I owned it, it spent a total of 44 days in the shop, all for engine/aftertreatment issues.

During one of the 2 week stretches it was in the shop having the crankcase pressure problem diagnosed, I drove a company T700 with a 485 Paccar MX, and it spent 6 days of that 2 weeks in the shop for DEF problems.

I'm willing to say that both might have just been rotten luck, but any of these EPA 2010 engines seem to be hit or miss when it comes to reliability. I know people who have had great experiences with both, and I know people who have worse horror stories than mine with both.

nofilter Thanks this.
  8. Fast04gt

Fast04gt Light Load Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Update anyone? I seen most of these posts are pretty old. I was curious on how the paccar engine is doing a few years later? Thinking about trying one out myself

9. oicu812

oicu812 Medium Load Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I have a 2012 Paccar, and I am getting rid of this nightmare as soon as I can. Either trade the truck or repower it with a pre emission engine. It doesn't stay out of the shop for more than a month, maybe two if I am lucky, all related to emissions issues. Costly and time consuming to diagnose even what seem like simple issues. I am ready to take some loss on a trade in hope of getting a better motor, I'd be money ahead in the long run. That's my personal experience, hope yours is better.

10. Dogals right foot

Dogals right foot Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2013
    The Dreaded Northeast
    I have a 2015 KW T680 w/Paccar MX-13.

130000+ and no problems.
    Runs well..hate the exhaust brake though.
    Smooth running with great MPG.

T_TRUCKER. Thanks this.
  11. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Kenworth does seem to have an issue with their sensors. I have brought 2 trucks back to the shop for a customer that had derated. The DEF gauge said full but the light was on saying it was empty. Open the cap and the tank was full.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.