Pain in the ### rigs

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by Highway Hypnosis, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Highway Hypnosis

Highway Hypnosis Light Load Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Minot, ND
    Making it possible to drive all the way around the rig would just be too easy...

Lepton1 and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    Most NOMAC rigs I've been on, you could make a lap with a tractor trailer. Absolute cakewalk with the usual straight trucks. The Patterson/UTI ones were much less neat, but could still be driven around. But then again, the pads in the Marcellus/Utica are typically packed gravel at least, and not nearly as soft as that looks.

I miss oilfield work.

Lepton1 and Highway Hypnosis Thank this.
  4. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    I didn't know such a thing even existed. I've never seen a location (in the Eagle Ford, Permian Basin, or Woodbine) where you could make a lap in even a straight truck while the drilling rig was up.

Fortunately, things get a lot easier once the rig moves out and the frac crew shows up.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I should try that someday. Ive always loved a good rodeo.

6. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    Really wish I'd had the presence of mind to video a lap or two. The NOMAC PeakeRigs seemed to have the most compact layout, #71 was the last one I worked on prior to leaving the oilfield.

We had the opposite issue, plenty of maneuvering room on the pad with the rig up, but once frac set up, getting a straight truck in was often difficult. Especially considering that many of the straight trucks in the Utica (OH) are rather long wheelbase with numerous lift axles (we had several with 3 lift axles, some other locals had 4).

Lepton1, x1Heavy and Highway Hypnosis Thank this.
  7. Highway Hypnosis

Highway Hypnosis Light Load Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Minot, ND
    Same rig.. I was the first out of 4 trucks to try the up hill climb... spun out 1/2 way up. Backed all the way down & let the winch trucks have a go.

Front winch truck has triple rail chains on the rear axle:

Lepton1 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  8. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Not my video, but the movie is burned into my brain... I don't miss these days.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

When I did Nomac rigs, we had more trouble getting to the rigs on some turns than we did in the rig sites itself

Lepton1 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.