painting

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by rank, Nov 25, 2015.

1. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    The clear coat has peeled off the roof of my cab and bunk. I'm going to take off all of the lights, horns and what not, sand it and paint it. But how do I sand the rivets? Seems to me if I don't scuff where the base of the rivet meets the sheet metal, then the paint will just peel.

The only thing I can think of is scotch brite?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    It's what I used when I painted mine 2 or maybe 3 years ago. So far so good.

Oxbow, rank and Straight Stacks Thank this.
  4. beemergary

beemergary Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Like woreout said. You got to break that surface to get new paint something to adhere too.

5. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Have you still got that old blue and white Pete?

6. DaveLV

DaveLV Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2015
    You are going to have to at the very least remove all of the clear coat. And most likely all of the base as well. Just scuffing the surface of what you have left will work for a little bit but whatever you put on it will lift eventually. As the clear has already started the process of it won't stop. Even if you use a primer sealer. As the exposed base coat has been degraded and most likely become porous those spot will be dull. The parts that still have clear will debond with the original basecoat and lift off everything above the clear. Best and fastest way if aircraft stripper to take I'd down to metal and if you are real good down to fiberglass (not recommended though) that's a da sander and a lot of discs. The rivets you can use the stripper and then a red Scotch brute to scuff. When clear coat debonds from the base coat it is a pain there is no way to go over the top and does require a complete strip prep seal and paint. The debonding is a chemical reaction from incompatible materials when it was applied, usually solvents and hardeners.

wore out and rank Thank this.
  7. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Thanks Dave. I've used stripper before but I wanted to avoid it here because I don't want it to touch the gold. I probably could use stripper on top of the bunk and top of the cab but I think if I did the sides I'd end up needing to do the whole truck.

8. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    A buddy of mine owns an auto body shop and he had a special primer meant for hard to sand places, like door jambs. It's really thin, he sands the best he can, then uses scotch brite, then sprays this primer on that eats into the paint a little to bite, then he used regular primer over it. I want to say it's called self-etching primer, but I'm not sure that's the right name for it. I remember it smelling like a Sharpie marker. When he painted my Camaro he used it all over, door jambs, firewall, inside the trunk, etc. That was over 15 years ago and it's still fine.

rank, wore out and truckon Thank this.
  9. RidinDirty11

RidinDirty11 Light Load Member

Aug 20, 2015
    volvo repair.jpg Some of the new products are really amazing. I paint all of our own trucks. I use an epoxy primer in cases like yours. I have had zero problems with it. I spray Urethane single stage paints on all of our trucks. The shine holds very well. It is a lot less work than base /clear, and makes for fast repairs if the drivers damage anything on the truck.

Lots of great sites if you google some of the auto body forums. Taught me a lot, including that stripping to bare metal is no longer a must. Your local paint store can help you a lot also. Just remember spraying is not as easy as it looks. Took me about 4 or 5 times to get proficient at it. First few times I was afraid to spray heavy, so I got tons of orange peel. Once I learned the gun, and spray patterns etc, kind of fun. Here is a pic of a truck that had the front left hood smashed and cracked and bumper on the passenger side . I resprayed the whole hood with a single stage urethane. The new Urethane's are very tough, not quite as tough as Imron, but way safer to spray. Make sure you wear a good respirator, and a hooded suit. I use a full face respirator as your eyes and ears can absorb the gases. I had to spray this out side because it is too tall for our shop door. Here is what single stage looks like, with epoxy primer under for bare ares.

sshewins and rank Thank this.
  10. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    I have a full face but I don't use it to spray. Do you have tear offs? Seems like they would be handy

11. RidinDirty11

RidinDirty11 Light Load Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Not sure what you mean by tear offs ?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.