Panhandlers at Truck Stops

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Winkjr, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Surfer Joe

Surfer Joe Heavy Load Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Cape Ann, Massachusetts
    What I just cant understand is why would anybody panhandle at a truckstop?
    As if a truck driver has any more money than any other bum....

freightwipper and Bakerman Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 2duisperyear

2duisperyear Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Okland Co , Mi
    You should have rubbed his belly

carramrod32 Thanks this.
  4. carramrod32

carramrod32 Heavy Load Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Midwest
    Or rubbed your own belly.

5. 2duisperyear

2duisperyear Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Okland Co , Mi
    Or both simultaneous

carramrod32 Thanks this.
  6. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    I've noticed a lot more beggars standing outside of truck stops and along the off ramps,
    I hate them and wish they would go away.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The Parasites are getting bad. I remember when I was finished with the road how bad they were getting.

I tell them, don't bother me I have nothing for you. Beat it. Scram. Go away. If they don't then the Law is called then and there to cuff em and cart em. I have no feelings for them.

With that said... there was a time long ago where if a family was hard up and no food for the children you could pass the hat at holiday time and feed the kids a while. Fast forward a few decades. That has been hardened hearts with a cold emotional wish not to be bothered by these parasites.

I cannot tell you how many times I refused to stop at the Petro in Atlanta Bankhead because of the parasites hanging at the top of the ramp preying on the drivers stuck at the light. If it meant driving until I got out of Georgia, so be it.

Finally I had accumulated a small group of diners with truck parking out side of all large cities in the USA a minimum of 50 miles (Too far for parasite to walk...) where I could get into and take care of what needs taken care of without being bothered.

I remember one in Oklahoma at the last truckstop before Arkansas eastbound on 40. He gave me and my wife a ######## story about rebuilding his F150's computer inside the engine bay and now needs 10 bucks for taco bell. I told him I have nothing for him and for him to go away. he followed.

Let's just say that Mr Kabar and his shine spoke a thousand words of wisdom to this grasshopper who wisely finally left us alone.

8. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    They believe the line we did - 'you can make $75k annually!' (you can, but probably won't)... One of you guys have got to ask them what they think we pull down a week or year.
    I should have asked the young guy that wanted to wash my windows / mirrors last night in Branford, CT (a TA), but I hadn't read this posting as of then.

9. reddove

reddove Medium Load Member

Jan 6, 2013
    San antonio, Texas
    It worse when you are female because the panhandlers make a staight bee-line for you. When I told one of them that I don't carry cash he had the audacity to tell me to go to the atm machine. I feel bad for them and I understand that people can fall on hard times but it gets annoying.

bentstrider83 Thanks this.
  10. LindaPV

LindaPV Medium Load Member

Just hope some day it ain't you...

snowlauncher Thanks this.
  11. Longarm

Longarm Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2011
    If hard luck should befall me, you can bet your sweet behind I won't be at the truck stop. This country has several welfare programs for those who want to help themselves. People at truckstops are just looking for a quick handout.

lilillill and Blackshack46 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.