Panhandlers at Truck Stops

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Winkjr, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    There's this dude who rides the subway in NY...swear I've seen him more than once. Anyway he has this real aggressive sob story about needing money to get home that he loudy broadcasts to the whole train car and he cleans up. I'm thinking bro you're already on the train you don't need any of my money to get home lol.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Just start coughing uncontrollably for a minute, mutter something about 'this #### TB' and then start checking for loose change.:biggrin_25521:

bentstrider83 Thanks this.
  4. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    But by God's grace there go I.
    Or by the pattern of decent choices we make that pan out well, if you're an agnostic, as I'd be.
    Bottom line: I make it hard to prey on my empathy.
    Isn't a bum out there that gives an F about Tuberculosis. Prolly already has AIDS.
    I'm just saying, there are many indiscriminate choices folks make - bumming at a truck stop is far down the ladder and we both know there's worse to it.
    It's sad, but it's a reality. :/

5. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    That's the way you tell the difference. A homeless person doesn't care, a professional lazyass hesitates.

Best panhandler I've ever seen...T/A at the MD/DE line...his sign said 'need money for beer'. Hey, at least he's honest about his intentions with his proceeds.

6. TruckinOff_in_TX

TruckinOff_in_TX Bobtail Member

Mar 9, 2015
    I was at a Flying J's in Laredo not very long ago, and was approached at my truck while parked 4 times in a matter of a few hours. The worst, being awoken by someone knocking on my driver side door at 8am, after falling asleep at about 5am that same morning.

Thinking it maybe another driver needing something, it got up and went to the window... the dude started telling me about he and his wife being broken down and needing some cash for gas. Same story I heard many times before from others.

7. GreenMonster9669

GreenMonster9669 Medium Load Member

Aug 16, 2014
    St Louis
    A guy was sitting at the exit near a couple of E. St Louis strip clubs last week with a sign that said "too ugly to prostitute".

Infosaur and carramrod32 Thank this.
  8. 2duisperyear

2duisperyear Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Okland Co , Mi
    I befriended a homeless guy years ago, we had alot of honest talks,
    He pointed all the regulars, only one was mental ill, he said to be honest he didnt want to work
    He can make 100 a day sitting on his butt, just wants enough for a bottle and cheap hotel room

carramrod32 Thanks this.
  9. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    I agree. The problem is, people thinking that welfare is a career choice, and have no intention of getting themselves off the dole.

10. young trucker

young trucker Light Load Member

Sep 29, 2012
    I don't carry cash , I'm a truck driver it's dangerous to carry cash. Everything is done by plastic now a days.

Seems to work also.

I feel for them I do

11. Md420

Md420 Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2015
    Tn
    Only time I gave anyone anything they weren't even asking. I had a delivery in St Louis and was at the redlight at the end of my ramp. It was 7ish in the morning and there was a guy, he had to be 70 years old picking up fast food bags/wrappers and getting old ars fries and stuff out of them and eating it. Was not panhandling, hell he never even looked at a vehicle.

I had just got 2 mcgriddles a breakfast burrito and a sweet tea from McDonald's. I just gave him the bag with all the food in it. He nearly cried, stepped over the guardrail and tore into the food.

If he would have been there when I came back through I would have gave him a $20 honestly

Infosaur Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.