Panhandlers at Truck Stops

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Winkjr, Jan 25, 2012.

1. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    pffft dont need no stinkin can opener

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Zangief, HalpinUout and tucker Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    No need for one. There is concrete to rub all around. Pook! One can opened. Just be careful to not spill the contents when you do erase the seals on the lid itself.

tucker Thanks this.
  4. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I can just see someone showing a new trick to their friend... Rubbing a can on the peelot. :confused:

download.jpg

KillingTime, austinmike and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    "Sorry man, I don't carry any cash on me." That's the easy way to say no.

Some people are genuinely in a desperate situation. This society discriminates against the lower class. It is classism, in the worst sense. And sometimes, people just need a very small handout to push them in the right direction. Four years ago, I was homeless and living in the streets of San Francisco. I could not even get a minimum wage job. The EDD office gave me a Class A license, and I've taken it as far as I can. If I'm going to be a truck driver, I'm going to be the most elite I can. With all the OT I can make hauling fuel for a respectable company--if I maxed out all available HOS each week, I could gross 100k per year. That's what hard work can get you.

Don't hate them for being homeless, hate them for resigning to their situation, and feeling hopeless. But yeah, don't give them cash unless they're in a crisis situation. Heroin withdrawal isn't necessarily a crisis.

driverdriver, austinmike and tucker Thank this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It's not so much the hate. None of that.

Im simply burned out on bums. I choose to carefully live where there are very few to none. The police rounds em up on sight and ships them out of town or to jail. (Not for punishment, but rather a place to sleep while someone figures out what to do with them)

Little Rock has a large amount of bridges and forest, there are huge amounts of homeless around there who cannot, will not and refuse to comply with shelter rules for a variety of reasons. Every winter after first ice things get going again with them.

There are some who are predators and frankly it's best they have no contact. The local churches and pantries do what they can, but America is one of the worst places to be homeless and have nothing at all. And even more worst when you consider addiction, crime etc that are barriers to rehabilitation.

Finally but not least, certain cities around the USA hold themselves as sanctuary cities and suffer a high price for it in form of filth, hygene problems and have the people who live and work there suffer the attentions of same at traffic lights.

It's simple enough to tell them we have nothing for you. Sorry. There is no point in explaining that as former truckers we have given a great deal directly to so many, some several times. Only to see their situation unchanged relatively speaking. It does not help with certain persons who beg as a occupation and go home in the Mercedes to a nice home at night.

moloko Thanks this.
  7. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    If I gave a dollar to all the panhandlers around here, I'd be broke. They are on nearly every corner.

Austin is a sanctuary city, so they coddle em -

Puppage Thanks this.
  8. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    It's a municipal sponsored career choice.

9. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2006
    $5? Here's some Beenie Weenies.

10. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    No hate, not even malice. But I get a kick out of playing word games with them... 'You got any change?' - 'Is that what you really want?' - 'yeah, you got any?' - 'Only you can do that.' *confused look*....... Think about it. The guy isn't looking for change. He's looking for money.
    Gave a guy a can of soup two days ago. Asked him if he wanted a spoon (I carry disposables). 'Yeah, sure. I need a bowl too!'.... Nope, you don't. The soup's already in its bowl.

I've learned not to hang out in the front seat very often while I'm stuck someplace.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. Stormy 69

Stormy 69 Medium Load Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Confusion
    Ask em to show you the cell phone that the seemingly down on hi or her luck person has

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.