Parking Brake Comes On While Driving!

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Waynetow, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Waynetow

Waynetow Bobtail Member

Nov 2, 2014
    Toronto, Ontario
    Hello everyone,

We recently took delivery of our 2015 Freightliner M2, shortly after it clicked over to 30,000 km the parking brake would apply on its own for no apparent reason WHILE DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD!

It happened twice just before my 32,000 km service, I mentioned it to the Dealer, and of course they could not duplicate the problem in the very short distance they drove the truck (like less than 3 kms).

Now just recently on my way back from Boston, MA it did it again twice, again without any apparent reason, the knob on the dash pops, there's the loud sound of air escaping the valve, and the brake light comes on. Lucky for me it's the air activated cable parking brake (my truck has hydraulic brakes), so I'm able to press the knob back in and carry on.

I'd like to hear from anyone that has had a similar issue, and maybe the solution?

Cheers!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AppalachianTrucker

AppalachianTrucker Heavy Load Member

May 25, 2014
    Orion Arm
    Oh, it's a toy B truck.
    Truck on trucker.

4. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    Stop driving it immediately! That's an accident waiting to happen!! Force the issue at Freightliner.

5. Waynetow

Waynetow Bobtail Member

Nov 2, 2014
    Toronto, Ontario
    Funny you say that, the Hino I previously had was apparently not really a truck either... It's too bad the Ministry of Transportation doesn't think like you, the licence renewal would be so much cheaper!

I'm actually lucky that the parking brake is slow to apply, even when the truck is placed in park, the parking brake applies automatically (like it's supposed to), if I take my foot off the brake right away the truck will roll a bit.

joseph1135 Thanks this.
  6. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Since it is an air activated cable system, are you loosing air somewhere? Low air pressure would cause the parking brake knob to engage, just like on full air brake equipped trucks. When the tow body was installed did they tie into the on board air compressor for a service hose to inflate tires, or do you have air suspension with a leak? I would watch you air pressure gauge and see if the brake comes on with low pressure. If the air pressure is fine I would check for a trigger signal from the transmission, meaning the truck may think you have selected park and begin the process of applying the park brake, could be a sensor or switch out of spec or bad adjustment. Either way, this is something Freightliner should be able to fix, but they are slow and stubborn. We had a 2010 M2 that would automatically dump the air suspension while driving down the road, took almost a year to force Freightliner to find the trouble, they ended up sending a team from the factory out to the dealer. Good luck.

7. Mudguppy

Mudguppy Degenerate Immoralist

Apr 28, 2014
    Wooley Swamp
    Um, not to be an ###, but are you actually doing an air brake test during your pre-trip inspection? (pushing in foot brake and holding for 10 seconds, air pressure dropping?) I would also check your gaskets in your glad hands, anywhere there is an airline to fitting connection really....

Definitely get on them to fix it asap though! That's what warranties are for. Good luck....

8. Waynetow

Waynetow Bobtail Member

Nov 2, 2014
    Toronto, Ontario
    @ brian991219 - I'll keep a closer eye on the air pressure when this happens, although there are no alarms prior to the parking brake applying its self. The only air dependent items on the truck is the parking brake activation chamber, rear suspension, driver's seat, and my awesome Grover Stuttertone Air Horn.

@ Mudguppy - This is actually a "Straight Truck" with juice brakes, not air, but oddly enough they decided to have the parking brake air activated by way of a chamber mounted on the frame just ahead of the rear axle, the chamber is attached to a cable that applies the parking brake.

9. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Is it possible that the chamber is leaking ot maybe a quick release valve for the parking brake is leaking just have someone press in the brake and go around the truck to see if u hear any air leaks

10. Waynetow

Waynetow Bobtail Member

Nov 2, 2014
    Toronto, Ontario
    I don't hear any leaks from the chamber... I think it will need to happen more often before the Dealer can actually do anything about it... It could be something wrong with the chamber, or the automatic engaging system when the truck is put into park... I don't know if this is a new feature for the 2015 Freightliner M2? Heck, they had a hard enough time trying to figure out why the built in Bluetooth microphone wasn't working (they ordered a new one, only to find out the original one just wasn't plugged in)!?!

11. webster1962

webster1962 Bobtail Member

Apr 27, 2015
    waynetow...check the harness plug at the NSBU (neutral/safety/backup switch) located at the transmission end of shifter cable, look for any bent terminal pins...also...give the dash panel near the knob a few good smacks with truck idling and knob pushed in..if it pops out you have a bad valve in dash..good luck and post it if u find the problem..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.