Parking Lot Mishaps

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by Johnny Montana, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Johnny Montana

Johnny Montana Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2016
    Florence, SC
    Hey all,

I've been curious about this for a while but haven't really been able to find a specific answer regarding it. About 14 months ago, I was backing into a spot in truck stop and I clipped a Volvo mirror on my blindside. It didn't break, but it did scrape the housing and bent the non-hinging support bar on the top of the mirror. There were no police involved or anything, but we did exchange information. At the time, I was running as an IC in a friend's truck which was leased through a mega-carrier.

Would something like this show up on my record? I've been a little concerned about it because I've otherwise had no other incidents in the 19 months I've had my CDL, or ever on my regular driving record, and there's a position I'm really interested in that requires no preventable accident in the last three years. Is this something I should list as a preventable accident, or is it not something that would show up on my record? I didn't list it when I applied to the company I'm currently with and nothing has come up about it, so it's made me wonder if something like that - something which happens on private property with no police involved - is different from something that happens out on public roadways.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Hey Johnny, pretty sure, no police report, no problem. Mirrors take a beating, every trucker knows that. The person probably fixed the mirror, and that was the end of it.

Johnny Montana and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  4. Johnny Montana

Jan 27, 2016
    Florence, SC
    That's what I was hoping for, but unfortunately it was one of the 'role model' fleet drivers for a company and I know he reported it because my there was a deductible on my weekly pay settlement from it. I was thinking the same thing though - why would anyone bother reporting a folding mirror on a company truck? I'd have just popped it back out and gone back to sleep.

5. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I didn't mess up the mirror, it wasn't scaped and bent when it was issued to me, and I don't need the shop blaming me for the mirror you messed up. Don't try to make it my problem.

6. Johnny Montana

Jan 27, 2016
    Florence, SC
    It still functioned all the same, but point taken. I personally wouldn't have sweat it though. For all the shop knows, someone hit it and left while the driver was away from the truck. I'm not the kind of person who would want to make a big deal over plastic mirror aesthetics knowing it could affect the person's record.

7. Mr.X

Mr.X Heavy Load Member

Oct 31, 2013
    Spokane, WA
    The Hostlers at Reesers fine foods in Beaverton,OR were pretty hard on mirrors. The manager told me "If they effected a drivers record, we would have to hire a new hostler every month". I also know the same goes for forestry operations, so I am guessing it doesn't count against your driving record if it happens on private property.

Johnny Montana Thanks this.
  8. peterd

peterd Medium Load Member

Jan 7, 2012
    St.Catharines ON
    Sorry but I would not be the one to loose my safety bonus because you backed into my mirror. If you put a mark on it,it;s not my responsibility to chalk it up to .....Don't know.

Klleetrucking Thanks this.
  9. Johnny Montana

Jan 27, 2016
    Florence, SC
    Unrelated to the question I posted, but okay.

10. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
  11. texasbbqbest

texasbbqbest Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.