Paying it forward

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by icsheeple, Jul 19, 2015.

Likely to help out a fellow traveler IF you have the time, and be honest?

1. Sure

15 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. Maybe

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Absolutely not, super truckers don't stop for nobody!

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    Got to Loves today with plenty of time to kill before my drop and hook tomorrow morning. I see this guy struggling to move his tandems. They were stuck all the way back. So I wander over there to see if I can make things worse... Lol

His truck was jumping all over the place as I walked up. As I got to the window he looked stressed and sweaty. I asked him if he wanted some help. He says thanks and the genius I am tells him to grab reverse, get some speed and yank that trolley brake. I didn't realize he had the air release pins on the trailers slide rails, and he goes to yank and pshhhhhh his trolley brake lines blow. Oh dear, they disconnected from the firewall and coupler from under the truck and air is hissing.

I helped him get the air lines attached back to the dash, and suggest he tell his boss he'll need to address that coupler down the road. Told him to not try and use the trolley brake and he said he's never tried it before today... I was curious how he performed a tug test, but I guess he can be hard on the equipment and just tug with trailer emergency lines evacuated. Obviously wasn't his truck. He said it was his second month out and lucky him here's me only adding to his list of problems so far.

I walk back and realized his trailers air release pins... Oops.

Well, with the trailer rolling as easy as it was I suggest he adjust the brakes. He looks bewildered. I tell him to grab and 7/16 wrench and follow me. Good on him he had purchased a small tool kit. I liked this guys attitude so far. I show him how to adjust them, and we give her another go. Hmm still won't budge.

At this point I suggest he walk over to the shop and see if they let him borrow some wheel chocks. Good on him again he breaks out his own bottle of As Seen on TV PB blaster. Now, I ask him where he wants them. He grabs the cat scale ticket from his truck showing 76k gross, and 34,150 on the drives. I chuckle and ask him where he's going. He says PA. Ok, well, as far as weight you won't get hassled, but your way over bridge law. Another bewildered look ensues. Bridge law? I give him a quick lesson and of course, as fate would have it, there are the bridge law guide stickers right on his trailer. Lol. I point out the PA tenth hole mark and we slide em forward.

Felt good to help a new fellow traveler as I probably still owe from my piggy bank of favors received. Turns out he parks down the street from me in KS, and we exchanged numbers.

We keep chatting and he goes on to tell me how he's totally getting swindled by this complete expletive of a truck owner. Poor guy is doing two turns a week to PA, running 4,000 miles a week getting $750 a week. Now I'm just crying on the inside for this guy. Hopefully he rings me this weekend and we can grab a beer and I will hopefully get him sorted out.

Sorry for the long read, any more story tellers.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    You left out one option in your poll. IT DEPENDS. Of course I guess that could be listed under maybe.
    It depends on what the problem is, where it is and just how safe is it. In other words, I'm not gonna stand in the hammer lane of I-70 and explain things to somebody.
    Not having a "driver trainer," I was thrown out there on my own after driving school. I had a whole lot of old hands help me out. I've always tried to pass it on. Unless there is good reason not to. And yes, there certainly can be good reasons not to.

4. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I put maybe just depends alot on what I learned in LE

5. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    There have been a few threads on this. The replies made me realize just how self centered our society s today.

The me me me generation.

6. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    Yes, sure, maybe at times and yes it depends, some things yah can't fix

7. camionneur

camionneur Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2013
    I get more of the paying it backward types, who come out of nowhere when I'm backing to "help" by disappearing behind the trailer. It's like, do I have to slap this person to pay it forward? No, I generally try to stay out of people's way and hope they do the same for the rest of us.

8. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    DUDE! Speak fer yerself here!
    What? Oh I see, you were. Sorry 'bout that!:p

:D

truckon and rayraythetrucker Thank this.
  9. SISYPHUS

SISYPHUS Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2015
    HADES
    Your a good man Charlie Brown... can I have your number?

10. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    I hate people...but I will help someone out every time. Actually; put it this way...I will ASK if someone needs help (when I see them struggle)---you may or may not be surprised at how often my help is turned down due to stubbornness or pride. When turned down, I do not argue---walk away, and let them struggle.

P.S.- 13 votes so far. 9 'Sure' and 4 'Maybe'....where are all those people I see sitting in their trucks just watching someone struggle? Seems like (in MY experience) there are more that won't help than anything else. Is everyone being honest?

11. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Perhaps no super truckers have visited this thread?:D

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.