Paying through the nose...

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by Hazardous, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Hazardous

Hazardous Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2012
    So our situation is as follows:

My wife and I want to finance a truck. Not a used one but a new from a dealer. We have 2 years current OTR experience 650ish credit, a mortgage a vehicle and some credit cards that are all paid on time. The dealer we talked to said that with our situation we would need probably 20% down...is there any way to reduce the down payment?!

Road Killer Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Not being rude get your score up and your debt ld down

Rex012, Ruthless and 123456 Thank this.
  4. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    Honestly, if you don't have 20% to put down you don't have enough to hit the road in a truck. Plus, why would you buy a new truck just starting out? Get something cheap and make sure you are going to make it first.....

Road Killer Thanks this.
  5. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    Lonemountain dealer is about 7% down

Road Killer Thanks this.
  6. pilot trucker

pilot trucker Light Load Member

Feb 22, 2015
    Ada MI
    I would be debt free b4 I got a truck.

TequilaSunrise Thanks this.
  7. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    FYI paying off your car loan will decrease your credit score. I know, doesn't make sense but creditors see that payment on the report. It shows how much credit a bank gave you for your car. Once it's paid off, there's no more credit to show.

Also a big down payment us usually recommend, like if you're buying a house they would like a nice down payment. 20% of let's say a new truck is 150,000 thats $30,000. You should have at least that before jumping into a new business.

Road Killer Thanks this.
  8. Hazardous

Jul 25, 2012
    I understand that, but in all reality you would then need about 40-50k...30 for the truck and 10-20 for float money till checks start flowing in

Road Killer Thanks this.
  9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    The problem is that with the small down payment, the risk of a default goes up.

Road Killer Thanks this.
  10. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Commercial credit does not usually work like consumer credit, meaning there are no really good no money or low money down deals. You can find them, but the interest is crazy or the default terms unreasonable. My suggestion to you, instead of conventional financing why not use a dollar buyout lease? This is how I finance my car haulers, $0 down just the first and last payment, title is in the banks name but tags are in mine and it is my truck to do with as I please, just like conventional financing. Understand, I am not talking about lease purchase scams, but true commercial leasing. There are programs available for mid and even sub prime credit. That being said, i agree with the other posters, if you can't put 20% down and still have $15 or $20k in reserve you are not ready to own a new truck yet, the down time in the shop will kill you. Yes, warranty will pay for the repair but no one pays for the loss of revenue or a rental truck to keep you customers happy while the dealer takes their sweet time fixing your truck.

Road Killer and darthanubis Thank this.
  11. Hazardous

Jul 25, 2012
    Problem I have ran into with leasing is they usually require 2+ years in operation first...if you know one that doesn't, pmk me please!

Road Killer Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.