I drive regional and local in and around southern Ontario, Canada, that been said I wanted a reliable GPS that is truck specific. I contacted Diesel Don and bought one.
Using it together with a standard GPS - TomTom Go, mainly for comparision and to see where it would send me.
After some intial issues that Don Jr and I worked out over the phone and to his credit and customer service I can say without a doubt, you won't find better. We were on the phone for well over an hour working out the bugs.
Some of the issues i have with the 450 are:
1. The touch screen is a huge problem with your saved places or favorites, it is so sensitive it is a huge issue for me. I was at times ready to throw it out the freaking window. This needs to be corrected by PC Miler.
2. Audio lane changes are way to vague IMHO, when you are approaching a multi-lane exit/entrance or a change in hwy # all it says is "take exit".
This can and is a big issue because it requires looking at the unit to get a visual, not a smart idea in busy traffic. It needs to be way more specific on where to go. At least the TT Go says exactly the name of the exit, hwy name or #, etc. The PCM does none of these.
3. Although truck routing is still up to the driver to verify routes, it is difficult if the city or area is not well know. Example: the PCM gave me a route that I followed but it took me right through a fairly large city's downtown. Lots of traffic, smallish street, etc, where there were several better routes around the city center. Not sure as to why.
It is a good little unit and I'm trying to understand more of it's features but thought I would share with everyone and perhaps get some feedback.
Page 1 of 3
1. Thanks for the nice words.
2. The touch screen is too sensitive. I totally agree. They need to change the firmware so that it requires your finger to do a more solid placement before accepting it as a "true" touch. I have fed that back to them.
3. Out of curiosity, which "voice" selection are you using? Is it one of the voices that does "text-to-speech?" Because if you have one of those selected (my favorite is the female voice in the UK area) then it tells you the exit number and name verbally.
4. On the routing, if we worked on the phone for that long then I am sure that we thoroughly set up a proper profile for you. So if you have a routing or an address change that you want it to do better, then please send in a MapSure feedback (at http://www.alk.com/Maps/map_updates.asp) as they continue to put out updates every 90 days on those. Because of this, they actually do make map changes faster than any of the other brands at this writing. In fact, go to your "About CoPilot" screen and make sure that your current version is "Data: ALK.NA.2010.04" and that the version number says 22.214.171.1249 also.
If this raises more than it answered, then give me a call and we'll check it out.
After some time and sort of letting the PC 450 route me to destinations I'm finding it pretty accurate in its directions.
One "plus" I find with this unit is the speed of corrections or route changes. Obviously there are and will be times when you prefer a certain road or highway, the 450 quickly addresses the route change and corrects it.
After speaking with Don Jr. and again at great length (wish more places had CS as good as his) we ironed out the test issues and also found my software was at fault. Both fixed with his help!
Still the most annoying issue is the touch screen, just way too sensitive. I use an Ipad with 3G for checking out addresses and the screen sensitivity is so much better. Don explains this as a firmware issue that can be fixed, if enough complaints are made.
Anyway good little unit, wish I had bought the next size up but what can you do.
Thanks again Don for all the support!
Page 1 of 3
Trucking Jobs Available: Now HiringFree Class A CDL Training with a CRST Career - CRST Expedited
Tuition Reimbursement for Recent Class A CDL Graduates - CRST Expedited
Class A CDL Experienced Drivers Earn More! - CRST Expedited