PC Miler Map Updates

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Guardian Devil, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    I have 9 programs (so far) that have issues with Windows 8. I do not know if you were using previous computers when Windows 7 came out or not (or Windows Vista, or Windows XP) but every time that Microsoft changes an operating system, there are lots of compatibility issues with sub-applications. This pain is always felt by early adopters for sure. It sucks, but it is widespread indeed.

However, if you transfer the right files to the right folders from the computer to the GPS, that should get the maps updated. If not, then I agree that you should return the PCM and get something that declares as Windows 8 compatible.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Bobtail Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    Tell me about it. The tech guy keeps confusing the NA (map) file with the NA folder. I really do not want to attempt another download, as I am going over my data limit for the month as it is. Hey, exactly what folder in the GPS unit is the map file supposed to be saved to?

4. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    You need to find the NA folder from your hard drive. It should exist there since you say that you were able to install and download the maps, but it did not do the transfer stage. It will be in different places depending on whether you have Win XP or Win 7, etc. I don't know where it would be on Win 8. But do a file search for the word "Central" if you have not already found it. It sounds like you have.

For instance, mine on this Windows XP machine is C:\Documents and Settings\Don\Application Data\ALK Technologies\CoPilot Central 2.0\CentralData\Maps\NA

You then copy the contents of that "NA" folder into the correct place on the GPS. The correct folder on the GPS is: \COPILOT\NA\North America.

The maps are not in the "Maps" folder that you are seeing on the GPS. They are in the Copilot\NA\North America folder in a series of sub-directories called "Cities, Data, Polygons," etc.

5. Guardian Devil

Nov 15, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    I just got back from a TA where I did what I should have done in the first place, that is spend the money for a Rand McNally 720. I already see the difference. Not only does the Rand McNally do more but it is much more intuitive and logically laid out, thus easier to use.

I am now getting "Error Decompressing Data 2" messages on the PoS*Miler. No idea how to fix it. Customer support closes at 5:30 Eastern time and I will be on the road tomorrow so I sent them an email. As stated I bought the unit from my company and they claim they do not take them back. I am kicking myself for being an idiot and buying a brand that I had never (and wish I still had never) heard of. I'll give your fix a try when I am done playing with my new toy.

6. Guardian Devil

Nov 15, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    I copied those folders as you stated and looked to see if there was anything I left where it should not be, and still get the Error Decompressing Data 2 message. I will try to call tech support tomorrow and see if I can send them the unit to fix. Phone support is useless. Meanwhile I am loving the Rand McNally 720. Not only does it do more, it is easier to use. Better speakers that I can actually hear and unlike with the PoS*Miler most functions are accessed directly from the mapping screen. No clicking around to get to the itinerary screen!

7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    sorry about your luck, but i'm quite happy with my pcmiler. THANK YOU VERY MUCH. and haven't even updated it.

being somewhat of a tech guru that likes things that work properly. i'll never go back to rand. the last guy i talked to at a PICKUP that was using it. said it took him 10 miles farther north to get to the same shipper as me.

but i gues if you don't mind the extra drive time. by all means. love your rand.

my last trip i used with rand. las vegas to phoenix. IT DOES NOT LIKE YOU TAKING THE 93. instead, it routes you through flagstaff.

8. Guardian Devil

Nov 15, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    PoC*Miler Issues:
    1. Sound is not loud enough. Usually difficult to hear spoken directions.
    2. Screen is not bright enough. Can be difficult to see the screen under certain light conditions.
    3. At least twice the voice told me to turn one way but the screen showed the other way. The screen was correct.
    4. Twice in the first week it locked up on me and I had to hit the reset button.
    5. The illuminated path often does not line up on the highway on which I should drive.
    6. Would not update maps properly, which caused the mess that started this thread.

I finally got through to technical support (I called but had to leave a voicemail because they were so busy, probably with other happy customers) and they said my unit must have software problems. I sent it to them on Wednesday. Hopefully they can fix it.

9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    you number 3 post can happen with any gps.

i've got 4 different programs. they ALL do it. so, your not gonna get perfection in the turning department.

as for the rest. maybe you got a faulty unit. it DOES happen you know.

i've had mine 2 years now. like it so much i bought a backup cuz i don't really want to be trying different MORE EXPENSIVE brands.

got pcmiler on my phone and 2 units. i'm good for about 10 years. and NONE of them have been updated.

10. Guardian Devil

Nov 15, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    I shipped the PoC*Miler back to technical support three weeks ago and emailed them six days ago asking for a status update, as I was on the road. Never got a response. I got home Friday evening and the unit was in my PO box. Great, except for the opening into which the clerks put mail into a PO box is slightly larger than the opening from which you take your mail. This is because the customer side has a door with a hinge on it. So I could not get the box from my PO box. I was able to wrestle it from the PO box by grabbing it, pushing it through the other side, turning it 90 degrees, and pulling it out. Only crushed the box a little bit! All I kept thinking was, "Don't drop the frigging box on the floor on the other side!" Anyway, after much weeping and gnashing of teeth it appears to work. Once I hit the road again I will see if it works any better than when it crapped out on me. I know several folks here love this unit but I ain't one of them! Plus I am ascared to try to update this unit again. That is what completely screwed it up the first time. I guess I will keep it as a backup in case my Rand McNally 720 should fail. Thanks again to all who tried to help.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.