Peoplenet question

Discussion in 'JB Hunt' started by zoekatya, Jul 22, 2015.

1. zoekatya

zoekatya Medium Load Member

Mar 15, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    My trainer said you only have to log seven minutes of the pretrip then the people net will round it to 15 if you start driving. Is this true?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DustyRoad

DustyRoad Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Gulf of Mexico
    What.....I used peoplenet and never had that happen.

4. jtaran06

jtaran06 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2007
    western ky
    As long as it's over 7 min JB log system won't give you a violation. I've done just 7 minutes many of times but it does not round it up to 15. What you do is what it logs

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Log 3 minutes, it shows 3. Log 9, shows 9.

Its one of the few virtues. 8 minutes to fuel? You save 7 minutes from pegging 15 on paper.

Busasamurai Thanks this.
  6. Wicked Wizard

Wicked Wizard Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Northeast PA
    Your computer will "guesstimate" how long you were on Duty. I sometimes go on duty and get to the guardshack with nobody in front of me. Technically on duty for 12 minutes. Start driving and Peoplenet puts me driving 9 minutes so I have a 3 minute pre-trip. Always manually put yourself on a different line when you need it to be accurate.
    Another example is your 30 min break. If you drive off after 30 without manually going to drive. The computer will backtrack into your break, thus voiding it. Hope this helps.

SaturnKnts and flyingmusician Thank this.
  7. flyingmusician

flyingmusician Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Jamestown, NC
    I'm not with JB but ours is set up similarly. it starts recording time once the wheels roll. once it makes the auto change to drive status, it takes back all that time from the time the wheels rolled. I've seen it ding me for as much as 11 minutes even though I'd actually been driving less than 1 minute. this happens especially at a DC or large customer where you may have to drive a mile to get around the building and back out to the guard shack. it will take all the time from when you released the brakes and rolled, waiting at the guard shack, and then out onto the road. it can be a substantial amount.

I always manually change the status any time I have a duty change to avoid this and keep as much of my clock as I can. I always wait until I'm at the exit of the truckstop after fueling or stopping or at the main road exiting a customer before I manually switch it to the drive line. those 3-6-9-12 minute dings can add up over the course of the day. I've talked to several people from other companies who said theirs are set up similarly.

pretty sure this is what your trainer is describing but like most trainers has no clue what he's training on or about. 7 minutes pretrip, then roll to the exit and head out on the road it will ding you for about 13-15 minutes by the time it does an auto change of the status the way most of these units are setup.....but it won't be all pretrip time it will be drive time too. keep an eye on it next time you do it and when it changes. you'll have an idea of how much it'll take from your drive line

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  8. duckdiver

duckdiver Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Surf city
    You can be logged on less and start driving, just like the obc put you on driving status and by the time it kicks in you should have enough time elapsed.

9. Ebola Guy

Ebola Guy Heavy Load Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Manitowoc, WI
    Here are my observations of PeopleNet other than it sucks. (Qualcomm is way much better).

If you are on the drive line, and the truck doesn't move for 5 minutes, it will bump you onto line 4 crediting you those 5 minutes as on-duty. So if you know you will be stopped for at least 5 minutes, like when you have to fuel or have a lengthy check-in, you do not necessarily have to manually switch over to Line 4.

You can drive 1.9 (probably 1.95) miles before it will automatically kick you onto the drive line. There is no speed limit trigger; I have taken the truck up 62 and it never switched me over.

If you are driving whilst not being on line 3 such as when at a rail or customer and you get that dreaded green message popping up saying that it will switch you to Driving AND you do not want to switch to Driving (line 3), stop the truck, DO NOT hit the OK button, and let the timer count down. You will still maintain your current duty status, reestablish your duty status to reset the mileage counter and proceed as normal. If you do hit the OK button before the timer counts down to 0, it will switch you to driving.

There is a stylus on the back left side of the unit, you have to slide it to the left to remove it.

Quick navigation tips: on the Create Forms screen, use the PgUp/Dn on the keyboard to quickly navigate through the various canned messages. For example,

-to get to msg 45 (Driver Equipment Inspection), hit End then Up Arrow three times. Hit Enter key to open the msg form.
    - msg 33 (Driver Survey), PgDn (Page Down) three times, Up Arrow three times. Hit Enter key to open the msg form.
    - msg 09 (Unloaded Call), PgDn one time, Up Arrow one time, hit Enter.​

To mass delete messages or to delete those undeletable Draft Messages:

from the Default Home Screen, hit System (top right), Information (top center), Services (bottom left), Empty Mailbox (2nd item listed) then Select, and choose which mailbox. Note: if there are a lot of messages in a box, it could take a few seconds for it to delete the messages.​

Did you know you can customize your Home screen? Here's how:
    from the Default Home screen, System (top right), Fleet Home Setup (bottom center). You are allowed only 8 icons/items. Here's how I have my Home Screen. In order,

Inbox (shortcut to the inbox)
    Duty Status (shortcut to change duty status)
    Load (if you want to enter current equipment and load info)
    Information (shortcut to mass delete option)
    Workflow (shortcut to allow one-button arrival calls)
    Scanning (unused)
    Navigation (shortcut to the Navigo)
    Create Form (shortcut to Create Form page)​

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
    SaturnKnts Thanks this.
  10. A Bug

A Bug Heavy Load Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Sevierville TN
    No need to stop the truck to keep it from going to drive, just reset the peoplenet. Press all together the two top left buttons and the up arrow.

SaturnKnts Thanks this.
  11. canviskiller

canviskiller Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2013
    texas
    Thanks for the tip A bug

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.