Percentage pay

Discussion in 'TMC' started by freebirdusa, Jul 21, 2015.

1. freebirdusa

freebirdusa Light Load Member

Oct 21, 2014
    Thomaston ga
    Just curious. I see a lot of current and past TMC drivers suggesting that a new hire should go with the percentage pay option. I have never worked for percentage pay. How do you know what the gross pay of a load is.? I guess I'm wondering if you are truly getting the percentage of the right amount.

Natethetrucker04 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. fireba11

fireba11 Heavy Load Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Tracy City, TN
    Simple.....Since you are on percentage you ask what the load pays.

freebirdusa Thanks this.
  4. freebirdusa

Oct 21, 2014
    Thomaston ga
    Thanks I guess I'm a little leary due to the way some companies are not honest and cheat the driver. But we are talking about TMC not Joe Blow,Inc. TMC is a stand up company. So I shouldn't even worry about there integrity. I need to stop reading posts from a guy bashing TMC. I read somewhere on here where a past employee said when he was on percentage he got loads that didn't pay much. Then he switched to mileage and started getting low miles. Who knows...maybe he was sorry and they were trying to make him quit.

5. Jerry12

Jerry12 Heavy Load Member

Sep 9, 2014
    Capitalism: when there's a shortage of trucks Or demand for freight your rate increases. Vs. consistent rate, always looking for mileage...remove pot of gold.

i.e. percentage pay is where your pay will have the affect of working for 3 weeks while driving one week...

freebirdusa Thanks this.
  6. Highway Sailor

Highway Sailor Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Erie,Pa.
    percentage pay is the way to go. It's based on the freight rate at the time. It will go up, it will go down. However pulling a flat bed most often you will burn up your 14 more then your 11.(less miles driven each day) less pay. Also your load screen will show the pay to the truck and your expected miles to pick up and deliver the load. Are both accurate? who knows. The miles you can figure that out, the rate you just deal with it. The higher paying loads tend to be dispatched early in the day. Get your self empty, have a full clock each day and you will do well. But that's in a perfect flat bed world. Flat bed work is hard on your mind and body. A lot of people come into it with wide open eyes and big dreams. Then reality sets in, the first day you get put into your own truck. Its like being kicked out of the nest. Your on your own making decisions to get you down the road. You work in the heat, cold, rain, snow, wind, day, night. But you know what.....I wouldn't drive anything but open deck. When your sitting waiting to get loaded watch the fellas ahead of you with their securement and tarp methods. Get out of the truck and ask questions you may have, take pictures for future reference. Flat bed drivers will always help out another driver. You see some dude trying to fold his tarp up when they are waiting for him to unload , or its inclement weather get out and help him.

7. freebirdusa

Oct 21, 2014
    Thomaston ga
    You are a good man. A little extra physical activity helping a fellow driver out never killed anyone.

8. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    Spot on highway. My entire time in training my trainer never had a load pay more on mileage. Of course 90% of his loads were 2 day runs that paid over $1000 per load and we turned them into one day runs due to having my clock and his to run on. The misconception is that as a single driver you can make what a trainer makes. It's true you can IF your a trainer. Mine showed me his last 2013 settlement, he grossed $98k. A single driver with tmc might gross am average of $75k once at 32% and running hard moody weekend out

freebirdusa Thanks this.
  9. Highway Sailor

Highway Sailor Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Erie,Pa.
    That's right Gunner, When I was a trainer the first ting I would tell the trainee is he would not run the way we are and not make the money I was. I didn't train for the money, I trained for the home time and showers. I didn't tell them the money I was making as a trainer, after all it was based on two people working, not me. That's just bragging and showing off to a new driver in my book. My job was to train them as a driver and proper load securement, time management as a solo driver how to deal with shippers/ consignees, truck break downs and maintenance. I found out training was not for me and went back to being a solo driver.

freebirdusa, Gunner75 and ipogsd Thank this.
  10. 59EX

59EX Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2015
    Gunner, what's the reason you left TMC?

11. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    Multiple issues, didn't like that my fleet manager was harping on me to become a trainer, i had personal issues at home with a family member, also got turd of having to deal with alot of their bs.

59EX Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.