Pete 359 fuel issue

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Asphaltcowgirl, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Old school 362

Old school 362 Medium Load Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Pensacola Fl
    I tossed my old secondary fuel filter Assy. I went with a spin on type. At lot less headaches . My old fuel line did laps around truck frame. Ounce I removed old lines and shortened them the old kitty cat purrs.

rank Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Most of these trucks came with a Kaiser engine protection system. The early ones had an override button the later ones didn't. The box is what powers fuel shutdown soleniod. The Kaiser box was mounted behind the center panel under the vents. Its possible the shutdown box went bad and a little late night wiring by a trucker turned electrician out of nesscessity used the gauge switch to bypass it. I agree it shouldn't affect it but don't rule nothing out on one that old

4. Old school 362

Mar 6, 2016
    Pensacola Fl
    If you have fuel flow. And power to your fuel selenoid. It should run. You should be able to hear solenoid click when it gets power.

rank Thanks this.
  5. Old school 362

Mar 6, 2016
    Pensacola Fl
    Gonna check my truck for that shut down box. I have an 83 362

rank Thanks this.
  6. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    It should have it. Unless it went bad and was wired around. It is 3x3 square maybe and pretty thin. It will have power in, ground and load circuits also a signal circuit from oil pressure switch and temp sendor. The oil pressre switch is mounted on the inner firewall behind steering wheel. Just eyelets on wires with maybe 3/8 nuts.

7. Asphaltcowgirl

Asphaltcowgirl Bobtail Member

Apr 5, 2016
    Truck is powered by a big cam cummins, fuel filters changed before I dropped it off for the clutch.

Haven't put any fuel in since this started actually, truck was in the shop for a bit, had a clutch put in, brought it home and it started this.

I would say it's possible for debris, that's my next task tomorrow.

Fuel lines have been replaced at some point in the trucks life, but aren't "new", and no insult taken, but there is fuel in it, about 1/3 tank.

It will start and run for a period of time, sometimes 30 minutes, sometimes 5 minutes. I'm guessing I need to check all these lines now.

Bean Jr. and Straight Stacks Thank this.
  8. Asphaltcowgirl

Apr 5, 2016
    Y'all have been real helpful so far! I sure do appreciate it

9. Asphaltcowgirl

Apr 5, 2016
    Y'all have been real helpful so far! I sure do appreciate it!

10. Old school 362

Mar 6, 2016
    Pensacola Fl
    What did you find out on fuel issue. Thinking it was are fuel line gone bad. During new clutch install.

11. Asphaltcowgirl

Apr 5, 2016
    Got home last night and was going to take the fuel crossover line off and check that it's clear, after running it some more, it appears it's drawing fuel from the drivers side tank and returning fuel to the passenger side tank and when it runs the drivers side low/out it shuts off...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.