Pete 379 Brakes are stuck

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Go_Trucking, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Go_Trucking

Go_Trucking Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2013
    I'm in So. California. Truck was parked at yard for a week.

I started the truck bobtail just to warm it up. When i pressed the brakes the truck wouldnt stop.. I pressed hard ( few times) on the brakes and then the truck stopped and the brakes got stuck to the drums. The truck would not move forward easily.
    I had to accelerate hard and it moved but slow could feel as if something is stopping it.. When I let go the acceleration pedal the truck stops immediately. The primary tanks and sec tanks air were full.
    I took the truck back to yard ( didn't go far, just half a block) . parked the truck and found the brake lights were on.
    I checked the brakes found it has about 40 percent life more to go. There was cracks on the drum. I took the battery power cable off until I show it to a mechanic on Monday.

Any idea whats wrong with it?

The truck is 2007 379 475 HP 13 speed.

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sublime

Sublime Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Twin Cities, MN
    Brake pedal hinge not lubed and therefore stuck? Floor mat stuck underneath the brake pedal? Both scenarios I've had happen in Peterbilts.

4. terrylamar

terrylamar Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Chock the tires, release the brake, crawl under and look to see if they are releasing. Maybe they are rusted together, hammer on the drum to release them.

5. aktundratugger

aktundratugger Light Load Member

Feb 10, 2012
    up on the hill, Ak
    It might be in the valve the petal pushes on, that has always been my problem '89 379 i used plires and wd-40 or kroil and loosened it up by manual manipulation, hope that helps.

6. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Yep, brake pedal seized.

7. Back In Stride

Back In Stride Bobtail Member

Jun 20, 2012
    As far as you know, is this the frist time that the brakes have ever been froze to the drums on this truck?

8. Go_Trucking

Go_Trucking Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2013
    Yes. This has never happened earlier.

9. Back In Stride

Back In Stride Bobtail Member

Jun 20, 2012
    You might want to look into the rollers in the brakes. I have seen where the rollers have froze causing a sliding action instead of rolling action on the s cam. The sliding action can cause a flat spot on the s cam head over time and will eventually cause the brake shoes to become locked to the drums if the rollers can not slide past that flat spot on the s cam head when the brakes are released after being applied very hard. I hope this helps.

10. spacetrucker88

spacetrucker88 Heavy Load Member

i think you have a bad brake chamber

11. Sublime

Sublime Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Twin Cities, MN
    Those suggesting a mechanical issue with the brake shoes, rust somewhere or brake chamber have missed one important point: he said the brake lights stayed on. They would not be on if the issue was back there.

Ruthless and NYROADIE Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.