Pete 386 mirror mounted signals

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by JollyGreenPete, Oct 9, 2015.

1. JollyGreenPete

JollyGreenPete Bobtail Member

Sep 27, 2015
    Quakertown, PA
    I'm interested in adding the mirror mounted signals on my 08 386. With the convex mirror being heated, I'm not sure how to mount or what options I have?

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    You can get the factory brackets, but they suck and always break. We just make our own from flat stock and bend it in a C shape, drill 2 holes to mount it and paint them black. Right by the bottom bolt of your main mirror should be another hole to mount the signal bracket, the bracket is just a C shape that brings the signal light down about 3". The factory signals are 4" round Truck-lite 2750's, but there's other options like the smaller bullet styles that look better. Any red/amber LED pedestal mount signal light will work.

Your cab should be pre wired and labeled, but you may have to have a dealer enable them with ESA once you install them. The factory wires usually end right under the dash close to where the mirror harness comes through the cab. They'll be single wires with a bullet connector, a white tag a few inches from the end saying right turn/left turn. The hardest part is fishing the wire through the mirror bracket, which isn't so bad, you only need 1 wire on each side, just attach the ground to the same bolt as the existing mirror ground.

4. JollyGreenPete

Sep 27, 2015
    Quakertown, PA
    Thank you, any pics?

5. GrapeApe

Jan 7, 2013
    Here's a pic from one of our 388's, which should have the same mirror brackets as you. Pretty simple bracket, this one is the factory stainless bracket. All of the ones with the 4" lights ended up breaking and we made new ones out of a little thicker steel. This truck has a smaller lighter lights and the OEM bracket has been lasting.

1010150757a.jpg

JollyGreenPete Thanks this.
  6. JollyGreenPete

Sep 27, 2015
    Quakertown, PA
    Awesome! Do you have a pic looking from the back to front. I keep thinking the convex will be in the way. Also what brand/model lights are they? They are a much cleaner look like you said.
    Thanks buddy

7. GrapeApe

Jan 7, 2013
    I just went on vacation, so I wont be back to get any more pics for 2 weeks. They do mount slightly behind the spot mirror, which is a good thing. Other traffic can see it, but the mirror blocks them from flashing in your face. They are quit bright and driving at night, you don't want to be blinded by your own signals.

Those particular lights are these:
    http://www.uapac.com/trucks/lightin...hts/15-led-3-reflector-double-face-light.html

They're # 38566 with the clear lenses. I don't know the cost on them, we usually just use the Truck-lite 2750's like OEM, but this driver wanted these and bought them himself.

JollyGreenPete Thanks this.
  8. JollyGreenPete

Sep 27, 2015
    Quakertown, PA
    Thank you so much for the info

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.