Pete 386 with the Paccar MX engine

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Flying Finn, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Guntoter

Guntoter Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah, like I said, the engine is awesome now. The problems all started with the low quality Peterbilt wiring. Not much of anything on a new Peterbilt is made with quality anymore.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Long Island OJ

Long Island OJ Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2015
    Valley Stream, NY
    I have a 2012 Pete with a MX13 Paccar. Engine oil is running extremely hot (between 230F to 260F) under normal operating conditions. It's been in the shop 3 times at different shops with Paccar techs troubleshooting. First shop changed the oil temp sender and oil, filters. No luck. Second shop flushed the coolant, replaced coolant, oil cooler. No luck. Third shop changed the oil valve thermostat located behind the oil cooler and baked the DAF filters. No luck. Truck is still at shop. Any thoughts?

4. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Oilpressure is OK?No additives were ever added to your oil?

5. TopCatTrucking

TopCatTrucking Bobtail Member

Apr 10, 2013
    Sparta, Tn

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  6. Anthony0910

Anthony0910 Bobtail Member

Dec 25, 2015
    i was looking at getting a 2011 pete 386 its has around 564,000 miles on it but has paccar mx engine it in reading this whole forum makes me wanna stay away from it. what are some things i need to check before i even take a look at this truck, what are also some of the common problems with these paccar engines

25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  7. Belials

Belials Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2014
    The Paccar suffers from the same problems as the Cummins - aftertreatment problems. As a dealership, I don't see either one fail more than the other. The biggest issue with Paccar is that there aren't quite as many locations which service them, and they're still new compared to Cummins. Not as many mechanics who know the MX engine as well as they know the Cummins.

That being said, the EPA 13 MX is a significant improvement over the EPA 10. Also, the MX-11 is out now, so we'll see how that goes.

Anthony0910 Thanks this.
  8. Anthony0910

Dec 25, 2015
    my concern is that i will spend more time in a shop then on the road making money the truck is a good deal but the engine is just my main concern.

9. Belials

Jun 10, 2014
    You should have that concern regardless of the engine manufacturer. Despite anecdotal evidence from many drivers - I don't see Paccars or Cummins in the shops any more frequent, for any longer, with any more serious repairs than the other. They both have their failures. Pick the engine which is going to work for your application. If you're concerned about "well I've heard this brand fails more" - that's just from what you've heard from people with that experience. Go talk to people who have had negative experience with Cummins and you'll hear that Cummins fails.

All engines are going to have their problems eventually. I can't say one has more problems than the other. If it's a good deal and the specs work for you, go for it.

10. Anthony0910

Dec 25, 2015
    i like the specs on it and the prices too its just i dont wanna get the truck the boom ends up in the shop. It has 564,000 miles on it right now would there be a extended warranty available for it ? it personally fits what i want in a truck honestly

11. Belials

Jun 10, 2014
    Highly unlikely. What's the last six of the VIN?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.