Pete 386 with the Paccar MX engine

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Flying Finn, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Scania man

Scania man Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Saskatchewan
    I tried to post a link but the forum didn't allow it, here's a couple of extracts:

Re: DAF 85/95/105 engines and general reliability.
    by Dogmatix » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:41 am
    Only problem with Oil I have had was when it was being churned around with the coolant as well. Messy
    If you can't see my mirrors, you can't see how god darn pretty I am.

We got a 95 wagon and drag on a 57 plate thats using 3-5 litres of oil a day!! Its an auto and to be honest is the worst truck i have ever driven. Compare that to my volvo i shift drag, that has never needed any oil in 5 years as a top up

by steadymabo » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:33 pm
    We run mainly 410 cf's varying from 56 plate to new, mine is a 58, and runs 7 days a week and normally double shifted, 470,000kms plus anywhere from 2hrs to 4hrs a day blowing and uses about 5 lts a fortnight, 1 of the 57's is on oil monitoring and uses 5lts in about 4 days, it has done less kms as well. these have the "mx" engine and are garbage !
    Don't do it ...... I did and look what happened to me !!!!!

steadymabo
    #

my 95 drinks a lot of oil, its in for a smashed piston at minute should get it back next week doubtfull if itl stop drinking so much oil thou as my 2 previous dafs a 95/105 both liked the black stuff

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    From your link:
    This one is also interesthing as you left out the last part off the remark this person posted.
    I think you suffer from severe tunnelvision , Scaniaman
    Missing part:
    I guess that part off his post didn't suit your purpose

Another interesthing post from the link YOU gave

Scaniaman,you said all Paccar engines broke around 600 000km max

4. Scania man

Jul 1, 2011
    Saskatchewan
    I left it out on purpose because I knew you would try to use it in a childish attempt to prove your daft mx engine is something to be proud of , the fact remains that the mx is a bad engine , worse even than thier predecessors , the fact is they burn oil at an alarming rate, they've also been known to crack and warp heads, this is not a p*****g contest and I'm not saying these things to slag off your truck ! Why would I ? The problems with the mx are very real and they are been marketed as a very reliable engine in the us when in fact they are no such thing, these heaps of junk cost me an absolute fortune as they did friends and associates of mine, you already rebuilt yours at 137,000 miles! That's not a good thing, can't you see you undermined your own arguement from the outset? So what if it burnt oil from new? That's a serious issue! No other engines in the world have ' extreme oil use ' from new, daf have many other problems besides oil use anyway , heads are still a major issue as are gearboxes and air valves. Try not get too upset and defensive, it's just a truck!

5. Scania man

Jul 1, 2011
    Saskatchewan

by gb1 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:55 am
    Other than about 4 weeks, i've driven nothing other than DAF 95's and 105's for the past 20years, and i've never had a problem
    with excessive oil consumption.
    The only memorable problem i've had was with the wiring-loom on a 4yr old 95, but to be fair, on the couple of occasions it required
    repairs, DAF were bang-on with the diagnosis and repair."

Many will argue with that!

"Quote:
    still way better then a scania though!"

Left it out on purpose as I had an inclination what you would do with it, besides it's only someone's opinion and god knows what kind of a thing he had besides I don't really care, I don't own scania !

"by phantom309 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:02 pm
    we are regularly getting trucks in for pistons and liners at or place on the earlier 105's. the liners were all polished, head gaskets Daf have solved the problem by fitting anti polishing rings on the liners or whatever the technical term they use for em are lol, sorry it aint very detailed i havent really had much to do with em"

Really? Is that what they say?Daf say Alot of things! Not much evidence that it's worked to be honest!

Scaniaman,you said all Paccar engines broke around 600 000km max"

I absolutely stand by that, I've only ever seen 1 to surpass that by a big margin

we have got some 03 reg cfs with the 380 motor in them that have done about 2m ks and they have been 100% reliable,and dont use water or oil,they have outlived the 55 reg axors that had been bought to replace them.my old r reg 85 360 did well over 2m ks before going on to local shunting,and all that had was a new gearbox."

I really find that hard to believe although it makes no mention wether it did or did not have a rebuild!

I tried posting a link to that discussion board but wasn't allowed, I picked a few articles of people that are having problems with oil consumption too ( i wasnt going to copy over the whole thread obviously! ) and to be honest oil consumption is mentioned in most of these posts! Even if you think oil consumption is no problem ( which it's a big problem ) the cost of engine oil alone is a deterrent, you know how much a gallon of engine oil costs these days?

Here's another guy talking about the fleet of dafs he works with, note the oil use:

Got to say our fleet of CFs are total garbage. We get thro 100 gallons of oil a week, apparently heavy oil use is a major problem, the add blue system only works occasionally, rust, electrical faults galore - no windscreen wipers etc. Just not up to the job I fear. Also for an alleged 410, it wouldn't pull me out of bed. Put 675000 on an Actros in 2 years with much less trouble. It would also be quite pleasant to have a working radio and a seat that's only on the floor or in the roof - my legs aren't long enough.
    As the engines are all blowing up now, someone's getting a large bill. Probably won't stop them choosing this junk again tho!!
    Mackem
    #

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  6. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Very strange statement by Scaniaman:
    the gearboxes are made by ZF and used in DAF,MAN and Iveco trucks.
    So how come only DAF has a problem with them,according to you???

You mention the air valves.Another time you prove how little you know about trucks.If you had done your homework then you would know that the entire airsystem is developed and manufactured by Wabco.

What proves how little you know is the fact that Wabco makes the valves for daf,man,mercedes,iveco,SCANIA and VOLVO.

Yes,you supposed better brand trucks (scania and volvo) use valves from the same factory as Daf.(i would complain immediately to them and make them stop buying inferieur components.Tell them you do not want any part that has come from the same place as the "bad parts" that Paccar uses)

To scaniaman
    I was trying to tell the pro's and cons off the MX in a professional manor.

Time after time i find that you make false staments.
    You started slagging off everything and anything associated with Paccar.
    (and using incorrect information to do so)

In future i shall thread your remarks and posts with the respect they deserve.
    (which is none)

To all others who read this,

i hope this thread will go back to what it was intended for,a exchange off honest and correct information about the MX.

If i can help anyone with questions they have about my experiences with the MX,feel free to ask.
    I will be happy to reply.

larry2903 Thanks this.
  7. Scania man

Jul 1, 2011
    Saskatchewan
    Hahaha well shur whatever boss !

What false information exactly?

8. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia

NOT THAT I AM THAT MECHANICALLY INCLINED BUT...

I have a friend who's truck right out of the gate wouldn't break in. It was an N14 in a Pete 1995. They tried everything but the rings in a couple cylinders would not seat. They ended up doing a top end on it and it was fine for 2mil kms after that. The first 100k was just pouring oil thru it. Cummins said it happens sometimes???

Scania man Thanks this.
  9. Scania man

Jul 1, 2011
    Saskatchewan
    Ah ok, ive never heard of it happen but in fairness it wasn't every cummins engine I bet, I've owned dafs with Paccar engines, I know guy with these engines and it's not a problem of rings simply not seating, even when the do seat they wear out pretty quickly, these engines are prone to massive problems, warping and cracking heads, overheating , excessive oil burning and excessive engine wear, and to compound my misery daf wouldn't honour the warranty, I've been trying to locate the bills I had for these trucks, one had a bill of over 17,000 euro from it's first year in service, most of this was for the 11 times it was towed off the road , daf don't pay to get towed and at an average cost of 900-1000 euro a time it was too much, air valves and failing compressors and air dryers were the usual culprits but once it was the front brake calipers became locked on for some inexplicable reason, still this was too much for a new truck still under warranty, the second one was towed twice. So ultimately that's why I'm pretty p*****d off with them but also on the second one o had to rebuild the engine at 140,000 miles and the warranty didn't cover that either, the first one lasted to 340,000 miles before a rebuild and don't get me started on the gearboxes! The thing is my story is not an isolated one .
    I wish I could find the bills but that was 2003 but if I do I'll be sure to post them . I've owned mostly Scanias for fifteen years and never had one towed unless of course it was crashed, I can't describe the disappointment I had with these trucks and engines and by all accounts the newer mx engines are even worse than the ones I had, hard to imagine it but they are!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  10. PeteVolvo tech

PeteVolvo tech Bobtail Member

Mar 23, 2012
    WI
    I work in a Pete garage in the US. Although I hate the MX engines we have never had one with a oil consumption issue yet... We also have never had a internal engine component failure yet... Too bad everything bolted to the outside has failed. Too bad the Davie and cRapido programs are horable and factory support is nothing. Too bad the SRTs for these engines are so off no tech wants to touch one.

As far as the N14 piston ring seating issue. I have saw a couple Cats, Cummins, and Volvos with that issue over the years. Mostly Cats in the late 90s.

11. Scania man

Jul 1, 2011
    Saskatchewan
    Unless they have got a full redesign in the last 2 years or so you will! Ive also been involved in machinery for many years and know how good cat and cummins engines are, trust me, mx couldn't hold a candle to them! All I can do is point you toward another forum called " Irish rigs" go see what my fellow countrymen think of them, this country is great envoirnment to test a truck!

I'm not expecting you guys to believe me but I hope you do! Buy an engine you know and trust, just don't get burned like I did , mx is fine for big fleets that lease their trucks over a short period but these are not an engine for a small operator or owner driver who want the truck to last !

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.