Pete 579 vs Volvo 780

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by FLFrenchie, Jan 20, 2016.

1. spectacle13

spectacle13 Light Load Member

Oct 19, 2013
    I've had my 2015 (July 2014 mfg date) for 208k miles now,

ISX 15 400hp (Swift spec bs)
    13 speed
    3.25 rears (again,swift bs)
    80" sleeper (the above poster is incorrect about max sleeper size)

My truck, up to this point has been virtually trouble free. However, I change my oil earlier (30k vs. 50k recommended) and run Rotella and baldwin filters, I also pay the little extra to replace the "extended life filter" instead of letting them put a regular filter on. I keep my idling low, as I run a team truck. And I get an oil sample every oil change, so far my soot stays below .02 I couldn't be happier.

Now, ergonomics.... replace the seats if you get the cloth stock ones....the air options in them are awesome (air memory ftw) but they hurt after a shift of driving.

I've never driven a 780, but have been told the have a solid turn radius due to short wheelbase. You will be giving that up here. Mine is 233" I think, and will not turn like a FL or my old 680, but you get used to it.

High mid roof means you give up the Condo, however....I haven't missed the overhead room as I don't need a second bunk. But there is plenty of room to stand up in there without fear of hitting your head.

The cabinets offer plenty of storage, and the entire bunk lifts up on air risers (like a hatchback) for under bunk storage.

I love this truck so much that I will be buying my own as a full O/O, instead of leasing this one for longer, later this year.

Let me know if there is anything else you want to know.

Blue Mammoth Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. russtrucker

russtrucker Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Central PA
    If that engine proves it reliability than any other DEF engines, go for it. Did you any issues ever since you are driving it.

4. Blue Mammoth

Blue Mammoth Bobtail Member

Aug 21, 2016
    I'm 78" tall, think i can stand up in it with boots and a hat on?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.