Peterbilt 359 A/C not working, beyond stumped

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by ThatGuy88, Aug 16, 2016.

1. ThatGuy88

ThatGuy88 Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2016
    So got a 1985 359. A/C was working for the summer then just stopped. Compressor is good, can jump it to engage. High and low sensors have voltage at both sides. Fan switch power both sides. The only thing is the relay is kind of screwy. No Relay 30 85 and 86 has 12volts. 87 ground. Relay same thing 30 85 and 86 have 12 volts and 87 ground. Soon as I grond 85 or wire 570 according to the diagram. Get power to the compressor. My question is how do the high low sensor ground. Is that controlled by the ECM, do the ground through the tubing. Or is there a short some where cause I havent found anything rubbed through yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    A 1985 would not have an ECM. Sounds like the first thing to check would be to see if you have any refrigerant charge in the system. The compressor only works if the system pressure is within a certain range. With no or low refrigerant, the low pressure switch will prevent the compressor from engaging because there isn't enough static pressure in the system (properly charged system typically has about 70psi static pressure at room temperature. Its not a 100% accurate way of knowing if its properly charged but it tells you there is at least something in there).

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I just re-read your post a few times. 86 should be control power, 85 control ground, 30 should be fused power and 87 should be your normally open. Basically once you switch on your circuit, 12 volt control signal should be available at 86, which grounds through 85. That circuit actuates the relay, which should send 12 volt power from 30 to 87. In most cases, pin 30 should have constant 12 volts with key on. Pin 86 should only have 12 volt power with the accessory switched on. Pin 85 should be grounded, and pin 87 should be wired directly to your accessory. I would look into why you're seeing 12 volts on the ground side of your relay control circuit as well. Without a schematic available its kind of hard to try and diagnose electrical over the internet lol.

5. ThatGuy88

ThatGuy88 Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2016
    Sorry wrong info this ones a 2000

6. ThatGuy88

ThatGuy88 Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2016
    Thats what had me confused as hell becuase it was getting power from both sides of the control of the relay. So it wouldn't energize opening up the switch for 87 to power the compressor. Been checking for a short but second I unplug the harness at the firewall nothing. No power on either side which is also confusing. The motor is a celect cumapart and I have been pulling my hair or would if I still had hair on this for 2 days now.

7. ThatGuy88

ThatGuy88 Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2016
    3lbs of 134a as recommended too, no leaks

8. OldSchoolCool

OldSchoolCool Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2015
    Southwest Oklahoma
    I'd check to see if your getting power from your hvac on/off toggle to the A/C thermostat switch, then chase wire from there to your trinary switch on the dryer.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.