Peterbilt 579 Info?

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Blanche, Dec 17, 2012.

1. rocknroll81

rocknroll81 Road Train Member

Sep 29, 2010
    West Allis Wi.
    What is the door weight with a Paccar motor in it. or an est. weight with full tanks. Scan0009.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RoadGator

RoadGator Bobtail Member

May 14, 2011
    Sacramento, ca
    I started a thread on this truck model. Will start my test drive Thursday. My initial impressions are favorable. More drivers leg room than cascadia. Cab seems wider than a 660 no trouble moving to sleeper. Clutch very lite. Drive position very Peter built while not as laid back as a longnose.

bigred81 Thanks this.
  4. Coolbreeze

Coolbreeze Light Load Member

May 13, 2008
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I'm driving a 2015, company truck, 579. I've got a leak in the sleeper when it rains. Seems like it's coming from where the wall meets the floor, on the passenger side behind the storage cabinet. Anyone else getting water in the sleeper area??

5. catnwhopper

catnwhopper Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Yes I have a 2016 model 579 65k on it.it's been leaking since day one {put in service 5/1/2015}. Peterbilt knows about this they supposedly have a fix. 3 areas in the bunk are known to leak I've had all 3 areas supposedly taken care off but still leaks.
    I've had air leaks,water leaks,driveline vibrations,the dana-spicer front rear axle lockout not releasing ,in shop now because of axle thump.
    I've driven over 5 million miles owned 7 trucks none of them a Peterbilt mostly KW so far this Peterbilt is looking like a mistake.
    Peterbilt needs to be reeducated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

]

Coolbreeze Thanks this.
  6. BigSkyTrans

BigSkyTrans Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2015
    We've rented 2 of them. They are roomy but rattle like a freight liner. Be careful-totally different wiring everything from a 389. The plus of a 386(we bought 2 of them) was they used all the same parts as a 379 for can and sleeper. They were rentals so I didn't care but I would never buy one.

7. RoadGator

RoadGator Bobtail Member

May 14, 2011
    Sacramento, ca
    I like mine. Traditional 70in sleeper not the unicab as 680 cascadia Volvo. The big feature "quiet" not the drum effect of the unibody. Both can be made quiet with insulation but the add on sleeper will be more solid feeling. Paccar introduced the mx13 at a time all brands were struggling with emissions. Cummins had similar problems both made changes, multi shot injection for one. Cummins has ridden on the excellent reputation of the n14. Paccar had no history here. Emission controls are problem not engine design. There is no more cats. What you gonna do? The driver position is far superior to the cascadia or 670 Volvo for me. Turn radius tighter than older 387 model. Motor has a broad power band of 1000 to 1800 strong between 1200 to 1700

8. RoadGator

RoadGator Bobtail Member

May 14, 2011
    Sacramento, ca
    As for rattles yeah it has one I am looking for in the dash one of those plastic wire connection plugs not used I think. The loudest rattles came from cup holders, easy fix. Seldom are two trucks picked at random exactly the same. Mine has longer wheelbase than average for instance and super single tires.

9. peterd

peterd Medium Load Member

Jan 7, 2012
    St.Catharines ON
    I have a 579 Pete. Got it new in Dec. I really like this truck. Very comfortable to drive. It has Cummins ISX450 with 16 speed Eaton Automated transmission. Have had no issues with truck.

10. RJB2007

RJB2007 Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2019

11. RJB2007

RJB2007 Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2019
    Where are the 3 places? I have went thru and sealed everything i can think of and still have the same issue you described. 2014 Peter 579

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.