Peterbilt Cat C15 oil pressure problem

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by trs100, Feb 14, 2012.

1. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee
    verify results with another known accurate gauge.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. machesha1

machesha1 Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2014
    I don't think that the issue is in the gauge or sensor. ((

4. Unless your looking at an in frame soon. Your CAT is getting tired. What I did with mine at 900k was have mains and rod bearings replaced. It will buy you some time.

Idle is usually low. 30's.when your parked. Suggestion is bump your cruise control up till oil pressure is 40 psi at idle. Sometimes that falls at or below 800rpm.

40 psi is recommended for the twin turbos during idle. Keeps the oil moving.

Questions I have are, does your breather tube smoke a lot soon after oil change? Or. Closer to oil change needed.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  5. machesha1

machesha1 Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Thank you for the response.
    It is one turbo engine.
    On cruise I can do 750 rpm and it is 35psi max
    Breather tube smoke always .

6. Westtxconsulting

Westtxconsulting Bobtail Member

Oct 7, 2013
    Seguin, TX
    This scares me. I have a 2003 c-15 MBN -500hp- 9k on gold kit in frame. 1k on oil change. I have sample but have not sent it off. I'm idle right now 700 RPM- 60psi. - water temp - 160. Is this normal?

7. OK your still in the break in period. Keep idling to a minimum. Hope you have a bunk heater or APU.

Change the oil

And filters. Run the truck like you normally would. Not telling you to beat it to death or race car it.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  8. BumpZ

BumpZ Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2015
    Im having an issue similar i just got an 07 peterbilt with a c15 accert serial mxx and recently change oil but my oil pressure light and engine light comes on when its hot and running it hard and as of now my oil pressure guage is reading at 15psi @600rpm..plz help dnt know if any work has been done

9. taxihacker66

taxihacker66 Road Train Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Concrete jungle.
    That's way to low for oil pressure would shut it down
    First check oil pressure sensor & then the guage to see if working properly.

BumpZ Thanks this.
  10. BumpZ

BumpZ Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2015
    Ya i agree thats exactly what im gonna do as soon as i get back..i hear it running rough and feel like i hear the rocker arms tapping.i know and feel it.thanks

11. What filters did you put on your truck. Start their, since you just did an oil change.

Have either a CAT shop or Pete shop plug into your ecm find out what codes your throwing.

I agree also don't run the motor with any pressure under 30psi.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.