Peterbilt prototype commissioned by WalMart

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by CaliforniaJellyroll, Aug 14, 2015.

1. AndrewH

AndrewH Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Gulf Coast
    Neat technology. It would take at least a decade for the rest of the "servicing" side of the industry to catch up with the dramatic progression? so parts and labor would be far and few which will indeed jack up the prices of both. The initial price would be SUBSTANTIAL. It would make the cream of our crop trucks now look like Nissians compared to let's say Ferrari. And the price difference for a New One will be just a significant as the price between a Regular Nissan and a new Ferrari/or etc.

BUT:

Could it truly be a super maintenance free addition to the industry?? Last for 30+ years? Evidently walmart thinks so. Even at $40k annual fuel cost times let's say 10 trucks would be $400k, which is about how much I think they would get these trucks for mass produced,, possibly less.

NOW: will these trucks shrivel up like a juice box when in a collision? I don't know. It seems kind of fragile.

AND: would this price be passed down to the consumer? I say in some form yes, overhead usually always finds it's way to the consumer in some way but I doubt they would replace every fleet truck of theirs at the snap of a finger. It would be a slow introduction of them until they weed their old fleet trucks out. Maybe a 5 to 7 year process. Who knows. But I don't think it would be SO DRASTIC that it would "sky-rocket" store costs. Especially with the amount of fuel they have claimed that they would save. So every 10 trucks they take off the fleet would pay for a new "To the Future" truck just in annual fuel savings alone.

I don't know:

Thanks for reading

Lol:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cottonmouth85

Cottonmouth85 Bad Influence

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    This truck, now The Highwayman Ink (a mobile tattoo place), is located just south of the Pilot ts on Hwy 19 in Sulphur Springs, Tx.

Straight Stacks Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.