Peterbilt vs. International?

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by NSteinbecker, Nov 1, 2011.

1. BretStep

BretStep Light Load Member

Sep 27, 2011
    99% of all elctronics made in the world are produced outside the US.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NSteinbecker

NSteinbecker Bobtail Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Georgia/Colorado
    Well, I'm strongly considering purchasing International Lonestar so I wanted to hear opinions from Peterbilt owners. I really appreciate the feedback.

4. BretStep

Sep 27, 2011
    Run, dont walk, away from an international engine !

taxihacker66 and NSteinbecker Thank this.
  5. NSteinbecker

NSteinbecker Bobtail Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Georgia/Colorado
    Really? Wow! Can you elaborate?

6. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I can't give you specific information on the Lonestar, but I have owned both Peterbilt and International. I received much better service out of my International than I did from the Peterbilt. Pete makes a nice looking truck, but the 72" pro-sleeper is much more comfortable than the Peterbilt sleeper than I had. It was a 63" flat top. Granted, it was a little different, but the International sleeper was much better laid out for driver comfort. Unless you buy new, you can get much more truck for the money with International. Peterbilt's cost more to buy, usually burn more fuel but do retain more resale value. I would expect the Lonestar to hold it's value better than other models of International, but if you plan on keeping a truck for several years, I would go for the best value and that includes mpg and driver comfort. It is still early to see much in the way of resale for the Lonestar. They have only been on the market for a short time. International makes a very tough truck. Parts are not all that expensive unless it is proprietary. The same can be said of Peterbilt or other brands. All have some parts that are proprietary.

NSteinbecker Thanks this.
  7. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010

I would stay away from any of the brand specific engines. Getting parts and service could be a problem and the cost is likely to be higher than for the standard engines such as CAT, Detroit or Cummins. The Navistar engine block is made by CAT, but there are not enough of them on the market and for a long enough time to prove themselves in the U.S.

NSteinbecker and jr-transport Thank this.
  8. BretStep

Sep 27, 2011
    The LTL company that I work for has always used Internationals exclusively. International does not want to sell a Cummins engine with their units. The International trucks we have with their MaxiForce engine are unreliable. They are switching everything to the new KW aero model

9. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    It will be interesting to see how well the new International's with the new engine do when it comes time to resale. My guess is that it will probably be just like the Mercedes engines in Freightliner's. Peterbilt are also likely to take a hit with their Paccar engines.

10. gunner76

gunner76 Medium Load Member

Mar 11, 2010
    IA
    I've always had good luck with International, but my current one will probably be my last, unless they ditch the steel cabs and make the Maxforce engines more reliable.

11. Krooser

Krooser Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    i always liked Farmall's because they had an excellent dealer network... at least when most every implement dealer also sold trucks.

The old 4300 series conventional was one of my favorites.... I sold my '74 a few years ago but wish now that I didn't....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.