Peterbilt vs. International?

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by NSteinbecker, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck "Captain of the Ship"

Apr 7, 2007
    Woodstock, NB, Canada
    The Lonestar is known to be quite heavy... I know of a guy who bought one of the first ones and it weighs OVER 22,000 pounds. Couple that with the current reliability issues with the MaxxForce 13 and I'd say stay away.

NSteinbecker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lucky Dog

Lucky Dog Light Load Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Overland Park, Kansas
    Recenty I purchased a used truck and decided to become an O/O once again. I looked for over three months before I decided on what to buy. Before I tell you what it finally was let me tell you why;

1. I wanted something that would give me creature comforts and reliabilty.
    2. I felt that it should be something that reflected my idea of quality along with an attempt to squeeze out decent fuel mileage.
    3. I definetly wanted only an American made truck with American heritage.

I looked at every brand available and I look intensely. Spoke with owners, fleet managers, truck sales people and then slept on it for a few days.

I finally decided to buy a 2000 Peterbilt 377. Some Pete snobs hate the truck due to its hood configuration and rear placed stack. I look at it a little differently with noise levels and maintenance in mind. Fuel economy is a big deal for everyone.

My particular truck is areodynamic, the stack (single) is behind the sleeper and the sleepeer is a standup to give better wind assistance up over the trailer. The stack behind the cab reduces the noise I hear all day and allows for easier cleanup in any weather; (bugs, salt spray, etc etc). One stack is lighter overall and less maintenance. Headlights are a minor issue that are a known from the start.
    I'm running 24.5 rubber as a personal preference, all 10 wheels aluminum. In this era of thruck you still contend with a small amount of computer items on the truck but you do not have any re-gen crap even mentioned. Good turning radius with the set back axle and the ability toload the axle as much as I feel is necessary to accomodate the load.

Finally with everything involved I will be on the road pulling freight, making money for under $25,000: tags, taxes, minor repairs to be solid in a level 1 inspection. With the freight I haul I will be 100% in the black well within a year. That is barring any major issues that could happen such as a tranny, rearend or engine rebuild event.

I have been in trucking for over 30 years and it's an ever changing game. I don't have all the answers but I can predict with some success what it takes to be successful in this industry. Buying a new or newer truck of any make will be a huge burden on you unless you're coming in with a large investment on the front end to keep your fixed monthly costs to a minimum.

4. lkpuede

lkpuede Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2012
    lmfao too funny

5. BretStep

BretStep Light Load Member

Sep 27, 2011
    You've got that right. Run as fast as you can!

6. BretStep

Sep 27, 2011
    Just make sure you are comparing apples to apples here and not comparing a conventional 379/389 to a new lonestar. If you want a comparison to a lonestar, reference a 587 so its comparing an aero truck to another aero truck. The Pete may cost a little more, but they are much easier to sell and have a much much better resale value in them. The lonestar may be a decent truck but i would never ever buy a truack with an international engine in it.

7. BretStep

Sep 27, 2011
    Their maxiForce engines have reliability issues. They are also not a proven engine like Cat, Cummins or Detroit. If you stick with the big three, pretty much every repair shop will have technicians trained and farmiliar with them as well as availibility of parts. Its the same issue with a Volvo where some of their trucks have their own "house brand" volvo engine in them. The Volvo engines are very good, but the parts prices are insane and not as available as the big three. Same goes for Freightliners that have Mercedes-Benz engines in them from their parent company DaimlerChrysler.

8. Dexterr

Dexterr Medium Load Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Lafourche parish
    As long as it can get the job done....I've driven a prostar nice truck but it don't feel like it has the legendary quality unlike peterbilt I've also had a 388 and it feels like your in a truck love the dash.unlike the older 88 - 2000 boxy looking dash, peterbilt is more refined and still has that classic appeal. International is good

9. DrtyDiesel

DrtyDiesel Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    I'm in favor of the 9900ix over the 379exhd if money is a concern.

Ethan

10. Freightlinerbob

Freightlinerbob Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2012
    West Coast B.C.
    I bought a leftover 2001 9900i in 2002.

40 months and $40,000 in repairs later I traded it in, on a Columbia, for $10,000 less than I owed on it. Essentially I financed the shaker for 109%, the salesman "made the numbers work".

That was 7 years ago this month. I've had time to reflect on that transaction. Best #### thing I ever did.

11. Texas_incognito

Texas_incognito Light Load Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Texas
    There is no comparison really. One is the second oldest brand of truck, with highest resale value in the country and the other is a Canadian Freightliner. Why would you trade a truck with a good solid metal hood for a pile of fiberglass? Not to mention the ride, you can carry on a conversation in a Pete, you'll have to yell over the rattling, squeaking, shaking and road noise in the Ignorantnational.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.