PL259 vs Type N connectors

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by rabbiporkchop, Jul 27, 2016.

1. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Which would you rather have?
    A 36.2 ohm PL259 or A 50 ohm Type N connector?
    Keep in mind by using the pl-259 connector you effectively change the characteristic impedance of the cable rendering many theories about impedance remaining constant totally useless.
    ( it's no longer a 50 ohm cable with a 36.2 ohm connector unless it is a multiple of a half wavelength terminated with a 50 ohm Purely resistive load )

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    Reason for edit: Effectively
    bored silly Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bored silly

bored silly Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2016
    good post you read my mind ... thanks

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  4. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Here is the impedance bump on a time domain reflectometer..
    [​IMG]

5. breadtrk

breadtrk Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2015
    It ain't gonna make a 1/4 mile difference dude. There is a fine line between obsession and insanity.

Just sayin bro.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  6. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Correct for end user.
    How about test bench accuracy during radio alignment and tune?

7. breadtrk

Oct 4, 2015
    Still ain't a 1/4 mile difference.
    I'm down with perfection, really, but with CB's and trucks it really ain't going to matter at the far end.

8. breadtrk

Oct 4, 2015
    Hang a big chunk of tuned metal on the truck with decent coax, 60 grand of tuning isn't going to matter on the receiving end.

9. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    More like a 40 mile difference if you compare ridgelines results to my results. That's a pretty drastic difference. And Ridgeline had to resort to an NVIS antenna to bounce his signal to a single location 40 miles away while I was using just a plain vertical blanketing an 80 -mile stretch of Interstate. That's a huge difference

10. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    When you sit in the same spot for 10 hours chatting on the radio all day and every five minutes somebody gets on the radio and says "I've been listening to you for the last hour and a half" that's a pretty big deal.
    Or when you're backed into a loading dock in Temecula California having a two-way conversation with "Traveling Salesman" sitting in his car 50 miles north of you in Fontana California that's pretty impressive.
    Or when you can have a 30 minute conversation with a guy in a dump truck with a stock Cobra 29 and stock antennas at a 45 mile distance that is a huge deal. If you don't have a 50 ohm test bench you can't get results like that.
    To say that any technician anywhere in the country is capable of duplicating those results on a consistent basis is totally insane. You either have to call me a liar about what my station is capable of doing or you have to acknowledge that very few technicians are capable of producing results like that.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    Reason for edit: Either I'm lying or my technician is very good. I can provide many references
  11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Rabbi, I don't have time to get into this but there is a very good write up on coax connectors made in the 80s and what is what but also why. It was written by someone who will tell you you're wrong about a bunch of stuff.

The one thing you miss is you do not have a bench to work on stuff, you are taking the word of someone else, and not providing proof to yourself through experimenting these issues out. When you setup a bench, you can see what really matters and what doesn't, much of what you say doesn't - it is the same selling point use to make money because as I've said it is a CB radio and nothing more.

It is like your picture of a TDR output, you got one?

You know how to use but more importantly why you would not use it to make this measurement?

I have three different ones, including a textronix lab TDM so it begs the question how is the DUT setup?

You do know the formula for coax and impedence and maybe measured a pl259 out to plug in the numbers to see the theoretical results so to compare it to a test?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.