PL259 vs Type N connectors

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by rabbiporkchop, Jul 27, 2016.

1. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    No but I've compared 260 identical radios done by 260 different technicians and compared the results under laboratory conditions to formulate a scientific conclusion.
    All the people who tell me I'm wrong about certain things are incapable of producing a single customer with a station capable of duplicating what my station does on a daily basis.
    There's a mystery to be solved here and I'd like to solve it. It has something to do with how your bench is configured that you are unable to recognize what you see as anything but typical.
    Russell Clift was a genius but his bench did not have the resolution necessary to be able to recognize what he was looking at. He knew there was something special going on but he didn't understand why my equipment performed 3 times better than what he was capable of achieving.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    Reason for edit: Russell Clift
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    I'm sure you're right in that I'm wrong about some things.
    One thing I do know is that there are major differences between how you set your bench up and how Mark sets his bench up. I've also compared his work to the guys that say the same things as you because they are from the same school of thought and those guys are incapable of replicating the same type of work.
    They said it doesn't matter yet they are unable to duplicate the results. They are correct when it comes to textbook stuff yet when it comes to Performance in the real world their textbook knowledge doesn't get them very far.

4. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Think of a 3 by 5 picture of your work truck.
    Try to magnify that picture and project it onto a drive-in theater movie screen and see what the resolution of that picture looks like. I'm sure it will look very pixelated and terrible resolution.
    It wasn't that great of a picture to begin with.
    But you had no way of knowing until you blew it up what the resolution would be like.
    Now take a picture of your work truck with this $45,000 50 megapixel Hasselblad H5D-200c Multi-Shot Medium Format DSLR Camera
    [​IMG]

Then blow that image up to the size of a drive-in movie theater screen and you will see a huge difference in the resolution of the picture.
    Optics, acoustics, and RF, it's all the same concept. A test bench with greater resolution in the right hands will always produce a more pure waveform out of the transmitter assuming the technician knows what he's doing. If a bench lacks the resolution necessary to be able to blow the waveform up to the same resolution as the person who did the work you would be unable to make any comments about the work because you couldn't see the waveform in all its Glory at the maximum possible resolution.

5. bored silly

bored silly Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2016
    I am insane. what's wrong with that... trucker bread ducker

6. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    He is right there is a fine line between Obsession and insanity. I heard once that the definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over again hoping for a different result every time.

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Wow ... Let me get this straight, you compared it under laboratory conditions to formulate a scientific conclusion.

Right?

Well if you say so but I would like to see the labs certs.

I can produce a lot of proof you may have already heard what I have but really the thing that gets me, as it does others, is this idea a CB radio can be the only thing that produces great audio or achieve good results.

What standards are we talking about?

Broadcast quality?

Well if that's the case, I can say maybe gates and Collins should have hired people like you to tell them what is what.

If you want to talk distance, unless there are two people to provide proof as observers without a dog in the game, it is just what people say, and not fact.

See rabbi, I talk all over the place, one watt or 1500, it all depends on the conditions. It takes more of a skill of listening than that of tuning the radio.

By the way you've thrown in a bunch of stuff like signal purity and noise floor but in truth, do you - not mark - understand what they mean and how they effect the radio?

What mystery?

How to tune the radio back to factory specs and do it in such a way that no one can not do it other than the anointed few?

How about this restoring back to factory spec thing?

Not to help you shed some light on this mystery but when you deal with an electronics manufacturer like say a CB one in China or other places, you think they've got a bunch of marks running their benches?

Far from it. It may be a Chinese girl who came off the farm a couple weeks before and has done her 700th radio by the time she got to the one you got, and her bench has second hand beat up junk with a hodgepodge of connectors and jumpers.

8. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    The mystery to be solved here is why your bench is unable to see the same thing that marks bench sees. I'm so confident in how my station works that I'm willing to place a friendly wager that watt for watt ( as measured by a power meter of your choosing ) my station will outperform yours off of the same antenna system at the same power level just to pound it into your brain that contrary to your delusions no one else is capable of doing this level of work and that what you consider good work is beneath me.

9. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Your failure to recognize what you see just bolsters my confidence even more. If you want to see how deep the rabbit hole goes maybe you should get in touch with Dee Lindsay K7DEE and ask him what he thinks of his Icom 7000 after he got it back from Mark.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    Reason for edit: K7DEE
  10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Rabbi,

See here is what I'm driving at.

Sometimes it is easy to fake things and fool people, other times it is obvious to those who know the claim or result is fake. Watching videos where there is a lot of movement and no place to expand on things like what equipment is used or better yet how that equipment is setup, causes skepticism or better put should cause it when it is defended as much as you defend mark - who I have to add doesn't need it.

I never said no one is capable of the work, just the opposite. I contend that no one person is the only one who can do the work with 330 million people living within the borders of the country, it is impossible to make a claim like that and it is proven countless times to be the case outside the narrow world of CB.

Further more I don't believe that your setup is the only one that can do that or others who have had the magic touch and really don't need to prove what I'm saying is true, you have to provide proof to the claim outside of just claiming it with credible people watching it. I wasn't boasting my distance record as you have, I'm claiming it is done all the time, which in my case it has hundreds of thousands of times with a lot of proof.

However bringing up benches, I always loved it when people tell me mine is outdated or doesn't work like theirs OR better yet telling me/others that my bench is not setup like someone else's without owning the equipment.

I don't have a fancy communications monitor, but I have some expense stuff at my home shop that costs more than those CB techs monitors. I mentioned a few things but won't mention others because it is not worth getting into a pissing match with someone who has nothing to actually compare it with.

Don't assume I don't know what I'm talking about when I say this or that doesn't matter, most who know, actually know and practice will back me more than they will back you. I may not know everything, but I've forgotten more than you known, I grew up at a time when I could write, call or talk to people like Bill Orr or John David or a number of actual pioneers in both the CB world and in the radio world. Now who is there? Mark?

I am here to explain things, not to say this tech is better than someone else, because it is subjective to a lot of things - like who sets the standards for a CB tech, really. Don't matter who works on the radio, rf doesn't broadcast that mark or pat or Dave or whom ever did the work when they transmit so it doesn't matter. I want to see the preformance level rise, but I don't feel that it has to be such an anal setup that we consider the weaving of the shielding on a specific type of coax made on a specific day of the week to ensure that the purity of the signal from the CB is getting out to an antenna. All of that doesn't matter because it is a CB radio.

The one example is this thread, where I'm wasting my time explaining that it doesn't matter. I've mentioned n connectors before, they are good for two important reasons, one is uhf signals don't need the connection attenuation that degrades the signal but the other is they are waterproof, an important feature in CB applications. It doesn't matter what impedence they are, really they don't and using a TDR shows only that the person can see the change at that point, not why or what it means. Replacing an so-239 because of an impedence change is stupid, replacing it to keep water out is smart. Does it matter if the impedence changes? No because it is an unbalanced line and of you learned what that means and how there are several impedence changes on the feedline, why they happen, you can see why it isn't important.

11. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    I'm not here to argue. I'm just tell here to help people achieve what I have achieved.
    15 years ago if you had asked Dee Lindsay K7DEE Department of Defense (retired)
    His opinion on this very subject he would have agreed with you 100% since he came from the same school of thought as you. But after witnessing years of things that seemed to defy his logic being in close proximity to mark and listening to him on the airwaves everyday he finally worked up the courage to let Mark tune his Icom 7000 to see what the hoopla was all about. After looking at it on an oscilloscope he was unable to detect any differences on his bench yet the signal seem to propagate much greater distances at a slightly lower output level and he was scratching his head for the longest time trying to figure out why this was so.
    As Dee puts it " the proof is in the pudding" although even as an extra class ham he can't give you a scientific explanation for why.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.