Please help! Westernstar shifts into neutral on its own.

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by renegaderepo, Jun 30, 2016.

1. renegaderepo

renegaderepo Bobtail Member

Jun 29, 2016
    I am new to the forum.

I have a 2007 Westernstar 13 speed transmission . When trying to use the engine to slow down, the transmission acts like it goes into Neutral, even though the stick is still in gear and the RPMs drop to idle and the truck free wheels. If you step on the throttle it will go back into gear and act like it never happened. This does not happen all of the time it only happens sporadically. I have been driving for over 25 years and have driven multiple different trucks, I have never experienced this problem. I have had a mechanic look at this and he can not figure it out either. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cetane+

Cetane+ Road Train Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Albany, NY
    One of two things. Clutch, trans. Probably trans. One of your sliding clutches in the trans is wore out, front or back half. If it were possible for you to give us exact details of what happens in what gears, loaded or empty and when exactly when, we could help. But without detailed, specific information, we would be guessing from 100s of miles away.

4. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    i would either say clutch is slipping but if it does you should notice this on heavy pull to, if not then my guess would be the synchro in the rear box of transmission either way the trans is going to have to come down

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.