Plug in/thermoelectric coolers

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by myminpins, Oct 14, 2007.

1. MorphEQ

MorphEQ Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Sharon, PA
    Scurvy, you ever play EQ? if so then you know who this is!! Holler back!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. C_Knight

C_Knight Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2008
    Lake Charles, LA
    I have an actual refridgerator in my truck made for the RV's. Fits perfectly in my Freightliner cutout. Since Freightliner builds and services RV's I just pulled in and gave them my specifications.

The Fridge cost me about $350. I don't have anything go bad on me and I can keep ice cream and frozen entree's in the freezer section. I now have perishables on the truck for weeks without them going bad. I figured I was wasting more with the Thermoelectrics in wasted food over a six month period so I just got the fridge.

It was a simple install. Just connect the two wires to a plug extension and plug it in. The system runs off 8 amps peak and has a low voltage cutoff. In cold weather the fridge can run for 12 hours before shutting down because of low batts. In hot weather I shut down for 24 hours and never had a problem.

I see now that Flying J has some in stock. Today I saw new design with a little drawer and lift/lock handle for the door. I have an older model but love all the same.

Another item soon to roll out is a 12V microwave that can plug into the cigarrette lighter. Supposed to roll out soon and will be available for 199 at Cabellas. It's called "the wave box" add the dot com to get details from their site.

As with any heating device make sure you have a 20amp rated circuit. I found out the hard way the circuit I have my fridge plugged into and my Coffee maker was a 15amp circuit not 20. Fridge is okay, cofeemaker- not so good. Cost me 3 bucks for a new fuze and 35 bucks down the drain for a half cup of real good coffee.

4. Behindthewheel

Behindthewheel Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2008
    Iowa
    That's one expensive cup of coffee :biggrin_25523:

I would imagine you are referring to a 12 volt coffee maker? There's a topic for a new thread! lol

I can see where one would be wise, even as a company driver, to change out the 12 volt sockets and double check the wiring, as well as run a direct line from the battery to the device in a 30 amp setup just to be safe and save from having to explain to the company repair shop why your wires are charred :biggrin_2559:

I have a 40 qt Thermoelectric Coleman, and I can verify that in time it just fails. It's the older model with the small fan inside, and the 92mm fan on the outside. I took a 92mm fan from a cpu heatsink I had got just before the motherboard died and put that on. I was thinking with thermoelectrics, the cooler you keep the top fins, the cooler the inside gets. I replaced the inside fan but of course the cover inside doesn't fit now, but it does blow more air! I will try removing the cutoff on the outside like one member mentioned.

For anyone that is unaware, thermoelectric works by having a plate with a hot side and a cold side. The hot side draws heat up from the cold side thus creating the cold area for the inside of the cooler. It can only do so much of a temperature change, so by keeping the top fins cooler, you can improve the efficiency. By changing the fans out (with a little creative soldering and a couple fan plugs), I did improve it from where it was, but not to better than what it was when it was new. Will update after I remove the cutoff as the other had done.

FYI: The newer models are a single motor unit, so this only applies if anyone still has the other model around still, with the 92mm fan on top.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.