% plus fuel

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by BoyWander, Oct 23, 2016.

1. BoyWander

BoyWander Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Michigan
    So, I'm curious...if a company looking for O/Os is advertising a certain percentage rate + fuel, or fsc, then how does that work? If they are taking brokered loads, which is pretty much an all-in rate to the carrier, are they going to pay you the O/O just the %, or are they going to add whatever the fsc rate is at that time that they happen to go by, to your settlement?

If it's a customer load, then it would make complete sense, since I think by contract, most of them are a base rate plus a fsc. But for brokered loads, not so sure that the company normally pays their O/O a fsc.

Hope this question is pretty straight forward.

Thanks,
    BW

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    They may have their own loads. Not brokered.
    If it says % plus FSC. Guess that is what they pay.

4. glockwise

glockwise Light Load Member

Apr 24, 2014
    It's really all over the board.

What should happen is they pay a percentage of the load and pass fsc through to the o/o. If the rate is all in they should have a fsc table and back out fuel from the base and pay the oo accordingly. That's how the law is written.

What typically happens is that they pay a percentage of the total load.

BoyWander Thanks this.
  5. DL550CAT

DL550CAT Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Waynesburg, Pa
    Works like this. If you get 75% plus a 10% fsc and a load pays a flat or all in 1000.00 you get 100fsc. That leaves 900 then you get 75% of that which would be 675. For a total of 775 makes you an extra 25 over 75% on a 1000. It's easy to break fsc out of a load even if it does not have it "added". As an O/O a higher fsc is better as you get a 100% of it.

BoyWander Thanks this.
  6. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    With most companies out here taking a percentage of the load and allowing you to run their authority and book from brokers you will get ZERO fuel surcharge. You will get a flat percentage of whatever you negotiate from the brokers. If you can find the rare companies who do pay a surcharge off booked brokered freight before taking a cut from what's left that is a plus. I remember when Farm2Fleet started taking 20% off the top with zero surcharge plus they charge back for cargo and liability. What a terrible deal that is. It wasn't like that before they got greedy and spendy. They floated some trial bloom out when Max Trans took over the reins from their mismanagement about quick pay of 76% within 2 days of turning in paperwork and still not paying any surcharge.

redoctober83 Thanks this.
  7. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    Brokered loads have fuel surcharge on them. Just brokers try to skim them for themselves. More and more carriers are taking a % of the fuel also. Right now the fdc is low so the carrier doesn't make too much off of it but when it spikes up to the 25% area the carrier does well peeling the % off the top of that too.

8. Petty Cash

Petty Cash Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    The carrier I'm with breaks out accessorials from the rate and gives me 100% of that and then takes their 18% from the rest on broker loads. Customer freight all comes from whatever the customer is billed like normal.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.