PMTG - new to the company

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by MrsSkidmarks, Nov 15, 2007.

1. wallbanger

wallbanger "Enemy of showers everywhere"

Funny you should mention that snow: Once I had to load in Waterloo, Iowa, and the load was around 44k (hunt's snack pudding). Well, while loading, it was snowing bad (by the time the storm was over, it ended up dumping over 18" of snow) so after getting loaded I went to scale (at the RoadRanger). Came off the scale and I was 82k!!! So I looked at my truck and noticed around 8" of snow on the trailer! So I set my tandems back (to keep weight on the drives) and took off, and the truck tracked straight through the whole storm (all the way to Indy).

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rainman1971

rainman1971 Beamerhauler

Aug 22, 2006
    Pierceton,IN
    Have you ever had to fight a scale ticket due to snow on your trailer? It's not something I have had to encounter, I was just wondering if anyone has had an issue.

4. duhaney30

duhaney30 Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Philadelphia
    just want to ask a question, it it true that precision hold your pay for two weeks before yu get pay. when yu are driving to greer, sc do yu get pay by the mile or just the $75.

5. wallbanger

wallbanger "Enemy of showers everywhere"

Well I got lucky, the heavy snowstorm meant all the coops were locked up. Even if you successfully fought the overweight, they could probably get you for having that snow, making a 'dangerous situation', or something like it.

6. MrsSkidmarks

MrsSkidmarks <strong>Stain Fighter</strong>

Nov 10, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Duhaney...dh's pay is 2 weeks 'behind', yes. It confuses the crap out of us, because we're having to look back 2 weeks to calc around what we think will be deposited. BUT...I must admit the direct deposit is nice! Never have had that before. We haven't come up with a good system yet of us both tracking it, so that I can budget. Rainman...how do you and your wife manage that? I was thinking putting together just an excel spreadsheet would be simple enough.

Also...be prepared and know the health insurance deduct. The first 2 paychecks they deduct 2x your weekly premium. Say your premium is $63/week, so the first 2 weeks paychecks they deduct 127 each week to get you ahead in prem by 1 month. But the really great thing was...he was hired on around the 27th...and our insurance went into effect on the 1st! Perfect timing too, because our previous policy expired then.

I also need to learn how the 'per diem' thing works. I'm sure there's alot of little tricks of the trade so to speak...I need to figure it all out!

Oh...and I have another Q for you RM.....I thought you guys all were 'guaranteed' 2 days off at Christmas? (especially if you work thru Thanksgiving? Shute, he's been on the roadw/o time off other than his mandatory hours spent in other states since Nov 15th!!) I ask because...dh heard a little differently.

7. rainman1971

rainman1971 Beamerhauler

Aug 22, 2006
    Pierceton,IN
    As far as I know, we only get the 25th off. With Christmas being on a Tuesday this year, I'm thinking alot of dealers won't be receiving on Monday, so I'm hoping to either load Saturday the 22nd for delivery on the 26th. The real bad thing is though, the last week of the year is the busiest week of the year!!! Everybody wants the cars in their lots and out of the ports before January 1 so the manufacturers can say they sold x amount of cars for the year. I remember last year we were loading cars in an outside lot in Jersey City because BMW had the cars scanned out of their yard before midnight on New Years. As soon as the car is scanned out of the port it is automatically paid for by the dealer, even before the dealer receives the vehicle. Hopefully everything pans out and Dh will be home the weekend before Christmas and doesn't have to leave back out until the 26th.

8. duhaney30

duhaney30 Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Philadelphia
    when is the best time to go to orientation. i am planning to go the last week in january. i need to put things togather before i leave.

9. duhaney30

duhaney30 Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Philadelphia
    do get get pay when yu drive to greer for loading training or just the $75?

10. MrsSkidmarks

MrsSkidmarks <strong>Stain Fighter</strong>

Nov 10, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Duhaney...I'm looking at dh's earnings statement from that week and trying to understand it. It looks like he got paid the .16 per mile, along with a per diem and a training pay. The direct deposits were each under $500 per each of the 2 training weeks, then take out the insurance and & taxes and that drops it down more.

Rainman...wow. I guess we won't expect too much on Christmas then. He's been 'out' for a solid month now, and has asked a week or so ago when he's going to be able to come home for some time off. Well...THEY DON'T KNOW WHEN. Something's messed up there if you ask me (could it be a dispatcher issue? I really don't know)...he was about 6 hours from home yesterday morning(SW Iowa), empty...and instead of him coming home deadhead, or of even sending him the 2 hours to KC, they sent him back to Indiana for a load! So now we're talking probably a week again, since he had to take his restart time in IA, unless they're going to be kind and load him up with local drops. (I hope) Sorry for the whining, but since I can't whine to HIM...I gotta whine to someone! :biggrin_2559: Now I need a pound of cheese to go with it. ;)

11. rainman1971

rainman1971 Beamerhauler

Aug 22, 2006
    Pierceton,IN
    No it is not a dispatcher issue. It is likely a system issue. Unfortunately I have heard this story in the past. It seems to me that drivers that live west of Lafayette, they have a hard time getting home. As far as training to answer duhaney's questions, you get deadhead pay(16 cents/mile) from where you pick up your unit to Greer. From Williamston shop where most of the trucks are domiciled it works out to around $100.00 plus your training wages. If things run like last year, most of the first quarter they don't hire. There's just not enough work to keep a newbie busy enough to learn. I am home for the rest of the week because my wife had surgery. She is doing well and I just wanted to take today off but Michigan told me to just call tomorrow and to not go and load. I may be able to go load Saturday and then come home again and deliver Monday. I hope they can get Dh home on the next trip. And they wonder why the turnover on road drivers is so high.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.