PMTG - new to the company

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by MrsSkidmarks, Nov 15, 2007.

1. bradleh

bradleh Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2008
    Sunfield MI
    My husband is considering PMTG or Pilot, both are in MI, he also has an offer from Schaffer but the pay for hauling cars is very tempting. Any advice that can help us decide? We need to make the money and if he is going to be OTR he might as well be paid well for it, thank you for any info. :biggrin_25524:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rainman1971

rainman1971 Beamerhauler

Aug 22, 2006
    Pierceton,IN
    Both are good companies. I work for PMTG as you have figured out. With Pilot you may have more local opportunities since you live in Michigan. With us you have NO local jobs in Michigan. There you will be out a minimum of 14 days at a time. The money is excellent here once you figure out how to work the system.

4. duhaney30

duhaney30 Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Philadelphia
    hey rainman, i spoke with precision and they told me that i got the job, they just need to hear from one of my old job then they will send me out for training. i watch news alot and i see that the market is slow and people are not buying alot like before. i am afraid that if i go everything will get slow and i will not get much work. what do yu think?

5. rainman1971

rainman1971 Beamerhauler

Aug 22, 2006
    Pierceton,IN
    You will be just fine. The market that we mostly deal with is the luxury market that hasn't seen any downturn as of yet. We are buying new equipment and are still growing. Yes, right now is slow, but that's just this time of year. We are all taking turns sitting home for a few well deserved days off and then you are right back out there. Congrats and hope to meet you soon.

6. MrsSkidmarks

MrsSkidmarks <strong>Stain Fighter</strong>

Nov 10, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    OK...I have to open my big mouth and hope I don't get in too much trouble. ;) If there is new equipment being purchased, why are these old Tri-S dinosaurs still being forced on people? Dh and I are not happy campers right now....he's been sitting in a KC motel now for SIX DAYS with a broken down truck. And found out this morning...the part they got yesterday was the WRONG part and they're not sure if the next one (I hesitate to say 'right' part ;) ) was overnighted even. So we have one week with no loads...which translates to minimal pay for broken down time, considering the first 24 are no pay. This is the 3rd week in a row, or maybe 4th, that he's had at least a few days of broken down sitting. Thank goodness one week (3 days) he was at his home terminal and was able to keep busy helping out.

And getting his home time like he's supposed to get has been difficult at best.

Sorry to be a bummer....but I for one am not too happy right now, obviously, and am trying very hard to keep up the sunny disposition for my hubby. I know he's still new there (3 months driving), but has had -0- in damage write ups, delivers on time and is very professional...you'd think they'd want to keep guys like him a LITTLE bit happier. ;) He did talk to one of the 'big guys' up in Okemos yesterday...don't know if it got him anywhere or not.

Now I'm done with my whining. :biggrin_2559:

7. rainman1971

rainman1971 Beamerhauler

Aug 22, 2006
    Pierceton,IN
    Unfortunately, we are stuck with those POSs for another year so supposedly Warren can break even on the purchase of Auto Elite. I feel terrible that hubby is stuck like that. Believe me though, we are so slow right now that if he wasn't sitting at least getting breakdown pay, he would be sitting at the house with no pay. I'm nervous because I have to deliver to the Philly Auto show tomorrow and I might get told to go home afterwards and call on Monday for a load.

8. MrsSkidmarks

Nov 10, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    I know a few of dh's training buddies have been left sitting at home here and there...so I suppose you really do have a great point there about being broken down not being so bad right now! I know the first day there's 0 pay...for each day after that is it 10/every 2 hours(don't know why they don't say 5/hour) round the clock? Or is there a cutoff as far as 'working hours' per day? He was stuck for 6.5 days total, so we're figuring he will be paid for 5.5 days # 120/day. NOT bad for just sitting there being bored out of his mind I guess. ;) But my dh would much rather be on the move and earn the same $$! :yes2557:

Thanks for your POV...that's why I came whining to you, I figured you'd have some sensible advice. :biggrin_255:

9. rainman1971

rainman1971 Beamerhauler

Aug 22, 2006
    Pierceton,IN
    Don't tell anyone that I can give sensible advice. I have a reputation to keep.:biggrin_255: I kinda made some of our drivers mad this morning. There were 8 of us waiting to unload cars at the Philly Convention Center for the car show. Everyone in the joint had 8 am appointments! Since I only live 20 minutes away I slept until 7 and showed up around 750. Last one to show and the first one empty. It didn't matter when you got there, they were unloading according to the floor plan. Since they wanted Mercedes before BMW, I was empty around noon and the BMW trucks weren't even going to get up the ramp until late afternoon!! BMW was going to be the last cars they wanted in because their booth was next to the loading entrance. Sucked to be them. Oh well, the bright side for those guys is when we go back to pick up cars, they will be the first ones out and I'll be there until midnite!!

Oh ya, anyway, the breakdown pay is basically 132.00 a day. Could be better, but better than nothing.

10. MrsSkidmarks

Nov 10, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Hey....that's one thing I can do well...keep a secret! I won't tell anyone that you're actually pretty darn sensible!:biggrin_2559:

I'm glad you didn't get stoned. By the other drivers that is. :biggrin_2559: That's as bad as being in the grocery store waiting in a long line and a new checker opens up and everyone behind you rushes over there in front of you...it can get downright NASTY! :biggrin_25525:

Well, dh is headed up north somewhere, Detroit or Ohio, and was told they were swapping out trucks with him. That could easily be even WORSE. But he just called, said a quick "I'm ok but my truck isn't, gotta run, I'll call you later". So OH GREAT...here we go AGAIN. :( I hope he can make it to his destination and doesn't get stuck anywhere again. At least if he does, I hope it's in Greer at his terminal...because at least there he can keep busy with all his trainer buddies! :biggrin_25525:

11. rainman1971

rainman1971 Beamerhauler

Aug 22, 2006
    Pierceton,IN
    Maybe he will get lucky and they will put him in an 8 pack. I heard that Greer is real quiet right now. The loads that are coming out of there are real ugly. They aren't much prettier up here that's for sure. I have an ugly 3 way to Long Island for Monday morning. I hope the new X6 get released soon. I've been itching to get down to Greer.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.