Pneumatic bulk tankers

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Burky, May 15, 2006.

1. Chestnut67

Chestnut67 Bobtail Member

Oct 24, 2007
    Nabb IN

Big Daddie- I dont remember how the vacation is setup without looking through the handbook. As far as the insurance is concerned its not the cheapest but seems to be pretty good. I have all the bells and whistles (short and longterm disability,top level med,dental eye,and life on my wife and I) and it runs abpout $105 a week. I know that's a bit on the high side but with my wifes medical situation(she has 2 scripts that are $1300 a month w/o ins) the insurance more than pays for itself. The 401k is average, I beleive they match 40% up to $1000 a year - not the best but not the worst either.

Good luck and let me know if I help anymore. By the way I used to work for a company owned bt the same family that owns TWT, a small propane and bulk oil company in eastern NC. I have nothing bad to say about them exept that the pay was on the low side but I have no idea how well Tidewater pays.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Firebird

Firebird Light Load Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Bristol, VA
    I drove for TWT hauling both chemicals and bulk tanks. I now drive for A&R transport.

TWT is a good company. I enjoyed my time there, but the pay just isn't up to what it should be. That is the bottom line. If TWT could have matched what A&R pays me I would have stayed without a doubt.

I drove for TWT for 1 year and they hired me straight out of CDL school, then I went to A&R last September.

A&R expects a 14 day dispatch, but they are good at getting you home if you want to come home, but you HAVE TO TELL THEM!! If you don't say anything they will just keep you out.

I drive out of the Charlotte terminal(Kinsport TN terminal when I was with TWT).

If there is anything I can help you out with just let me know.

Dave

Hey Chestnut67. I was just up at Jeffersonville last week. Had to get a little work done on the truck and then loaded out of the railyard(the one at Exit 1 off 65).

4. big daddie

big daddie Light Load Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Whats the average pay at AR?

5. big daddie

Mar 16, 2008
    ...and how long ya how after out 2 weeks?and where do ya run out of charlotte? Thats where I would run out of? Trying to build mu posts so i can PM u guys

6. big daddie

Mar 16, 2008
  7. Firebird

Aug 13, 2006
    Bristol, VA
    Charlotte does a whole lot of regional stuff. If you want to hit the road for the long stuff, they will certainly put you out there and let you run hard.

I got lucky in that I drive out of the Charlotte Terminal and live only 3 1/2 hours away in the Bristol TN area. We have several runs out of Charlotte that take me by the house sometimes 4 nights a week. I have gone out and stayed out for 14 days on a few occasions, but that is b/c I asked for it to make a little extra cash.

A&R does run the "big" trucks as you mentioned. I drive a 2002 Freightliner Classis XL, one of the old Werner trucks. Yep, longnose double bunk condo. It IS a big ole truck. I was used to those midroof Volvos at TWT and when I got in that Freightshaker it seemed like the thing would never turn. But you get used to it.

So, do you have any bulk experience?

Later,

Dave

8. Johnny99

Johnny99 Johnny be Good

Nov 24, 2007
    Big Sandy Tenn
    Any of you A&R drivers know a guy that goes by Porky on the CB. If he's still with them he runs out of Columbus Oh. We worked together at Chemical Leaman years ago and I've lost touch with him. Just wondering if he was still at it.

Pulling a bulk tanker IMO is much better than pulling a freight box. Earth products {sand, clay, etc} can be a pain at times. Plastic is the easiest, but expect to do some climbing if you load plastic out of a rail car with a vaccuum trailer.

9. big daddie

Mar 16, 2008
    I'm IN! You guys know and good or bad about Bulkmatic?

10. Scarecrow03

Scarecrow03 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    Like I said before, there's a mod on here that works for them. I haven't seen him for several weeks, but he's home quite a bit with them and (from what he's said on here) he makes a really good living with them. If you'd like, search for all posts made by Burky.

11. Firebird

Aug 13, 2006
    Bristol, VA
    You "in" at Bulkmatic?

Good luck with it. I don't recall if you had any bulk experience or not, but it can be a lot to take in at first. Loading(Vac load) is a PITA, even when you are used to it. Be careful over at the PolyOne yard in Pineville. Lot's of yellow poles and the scales are kinda tight.

Don't know much about Bulkmatic. A&R has several ex-Bulkmatic drivers but I haven't really spoken to any of them about their experiences there.

Good luck,

Dave

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.