Pop,snap, darn it! Popped a cab extender!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Driver0000, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Driver0000

Driver0000 Medium Load Member

Jun 26, 2016
    I got into a tight squeeze. Tried to turn out of it and cab extender contacts trailer, cab extender brackets break, can extender is now popped out with a good two inch gap running two feet from the middle to the bottom.

Newer driver with this company for almost 3 months.

I'll call safety in the morning. Is this something that I'm going to get canned for or will it just be on my record for ever?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Don't report it just yet; wait a couple of months. Since you're new and don't have much driving time yet; wait until the last minute to report it and say it just happened. What's the rush anyway?
    If another driver from the company notices it, just say, "Yep, they're going to take care of it next time I'm at a terminal."

joesmoothdog, alghazi, Riffman and 2 others Thank this.
  4. CargoWahgo

CargoWahgo Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Funny things happen while you are asleep.

Don't slit your own throat Mr goodie two shoes. #### throw it off ... You are new lol. Play dumb and say you forgot it on the truck assignment checklist or didn't know what it even was then.

Screw that honesty crap. Protect your livelihood man.

Also good job running into your trailer.

:D

5. crb

crb Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    USA
    Nope happens all the time. If you're with a mega will show up as accident. Others might give it incident. Either way if that's the only thing is highly doubt you're getting canned.

I disagree with the other two. Ive had better luck with honesty.

Kyle G. and David_Simpson Thank this.
  6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    It will go on his DAC report whether he reports it now or later, so might as well delay it as long as possible. It's not a safety issue, it's a cosmetic issue.

7. Driver0000

Jun 26, 2016
    Ok. I'm going to keep my mouth shut for now.

I've rigged it to stay secure while driving.

I've thought about it and it wouldn't make any sense to say it happened while I slept. There's really only one way those things get broken.

I've been doing good with the company. On time deliveries, don't bother dispatch about crappy runs, etc.

I go out, do my thing, come in for home time, do it again.

The only thing I'm really worried about is when I go in for service... I wonder if the shop guys will report it??

joesmoothdog and Chinatown Thank this.
  8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Go in for service and if the shop guys say anything, just say "I know and need to get it fixed when it's convenient." Then note it on your post trip for that day. Safety may not even find out about it this way. It's no big deal as if you ripped a fender completely off. We've all done similar things and most of us don't rat ourselves out early in the game.
    Lots of posts on here where drivers jumped the gun and snitched on themselves and now they're posting "I had a couple of incidents and no one will hire me now; can anyone help me find a job?"

123456 Thanks this.
  9. crb

crb Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    USA
    Most likely then they will question why you didn't report it.

True but as he said if he lets it go and they find it during service, then he could be fired for not reporting accident. Scenario #2 he doesn't report it and something else happens now he has 2 incidents/ accidents close together.

I have had better luck being honest. Maybe it was the companies I worked for too.

ncmickey and Chinatown Thank this.
  10. Driver0000

Jun 26, 2016
    That's exactly what I was thinking. I only have two and a half weeks to go before I'm off "new driver probation."

I hope it works out. I think it'll be okay. Most of the companies equipment is dinged. And it is just cosmetic.

the last thing I want to do is get fired before the 3 month mark and be stuck without being able to get on with another company.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  11. Clyde07

Clyde07 Heavy Load Member

May 28, 2013
    Whether you report it now or a month from now, be honest about what happened. The shop has seen it many times before and will already know exactly how it got that way. It's really not that big a deal and I doubt will affect your career. You'll start noticing how many other trucks you see going down the road that are in the same condition.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.