Portland Oregon looking for part time or flexible

Discussion in 'Seek Employment' started by Audiomaker, May 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Audiomaker

Audiomaker Light Load Member

May 25, 2014
    Portland, Oregon
    Hello, and thanks for looking!

I am a 48 year old who was formerly in the machinery buying and selling business.

I have decades of experience pulling heavily loaded Class C trailers across the country. These comprise of personally owned property such as large (15k) boats, and loaded 50’ toy haulers, as well as gooseneck equipment trailers used for my business.

During the course of my business, it was efficient to remain class C using medium duty trucks in order to not incur the the overhead that comes with a class A vehicle.

I have a considerable amount of driving experience with a trailer, often having to deal with the downsides of Class C rigs that are less prominent in Class A (rough suspensions, under powered, less-than-optimal loading, under rated brakes…etc).

I have pulled what would be called “challenging” trailers and loads in adverse weather many times.

I also have many years of rigging experience (forklift too), as well as being a knowledgeable fabricator, machinist, and problem solver.

I should add that I have a near perfect driving record and no criminal record.

In late 2014 my house and its attached shop suffered a massive fire resulting in 90% destruction.

This left me both homeless, and with a considerable amount of goods to move and store which had survived.

I also decided to relocate to the Portland Oregon area at this time.

Because the costs of moving were so high, and because of my “do it yourself” nature, I made the decision to purchase my own tractor and trailers in June of 2015. The idea was to store my belongings and remaining equipment in the trailers (dry vans) while seeking at a shop and starting up a new business.

It has been difficult finding a suitable shop and market for doing my former business, so now I am looking to put my skills and equipment to work while I continue to search.

Being realistic, I can see getting a new business into full swing again will take a couple years at least. I need to work in the meantime.

Unfortunately, because I was never planning on driving for a living, I only obtained my class A CDL about 9 months ago, and I have a limited amount of time in the Class 8 truck, although I will say that driving it is by far easier than my Class C rigs.

The most I have pulled is 79,000 and 48’ in a dry van.

The equipment I have available is:
    1. 2001 Freightliner Argosy COE 110”
    2. 1999 Freightliner roll back tow truck
    3. Forklift and compact trailer (5k cap’)
    4. 48’ carpeted dry van with lift gate
    5. machinery moving equipment (skates, hydraulics..etc)

My truck is registered and insured for private use at this time while I wait to see what the requirements of any possible employment might be. I am also waiting on authority for the same reason (to see if I’ll need it).

I am looking for work with a flexible schedule. I do not think I can commit to more than 3-4 days of driving per week with so much on my plate. This is hard to explain, but there is a lot to do after a fire and relocation. One has to try to get one’s life back on track, repair and consolidate things damaged from the fire, deal with insurance, research places to live…etc.

This does not mean that I am unreliable or lazy. I simply tend to obligations and make forward progress…as I would do so working with any company.

That said, I do need work and I am a reliable, mature and experienced person.

I am open to just about any type of trucking as long as I can drive my own truck and either choose my own schedules or have a set part time schedule with some flexibility.

I am also open to getting my own authority, insurance, and trailer if any of those make the difference and as long as the work justifies the investment and/or financing.

I am fit enough to climb in and out of the cabover, manhandle machinery and accomplish physical tasks often reserved for someone younger than myself. This is a side effect of having moved so much cast iron around in my time.

My younger friends call this “Vintage muscle” humorously.

And lastly, I have been in the owner’s seat for most of my life, so I relate very well to the perspective of an owner.

I feel this helps me relate, and by relating, be the best asset to the ownership possible.

If that doesn’t all sound too kooky and you feel like there’s a possibility that I might fit in somehow with your company, then please contact me via the private message feature of this board and I’d enjoy discussing it.

All the Best

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.