Possible Imminent Clutch Replacement??

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by samjward, Sep 22, 2016.

1. samjward

samjward Light Load Member

May 20, 2016
    Hey, one of our trucks, a 2011/2012 Peterbilt 386 is experiencing a weird problem. When stopped, in any gear, we slowly let off the clutch and it lunges forward. It also appears to feel like it lunges forward a few times before it finally gets going without any kicking. It only does this from stop. While driving normally above 10 MPH everything seems fine. The clutch has been checked and adjusted multiple times recently, but to no avail. There is free-play in the clutch pedal and it seems fine. The clutch was replaced last year. Any ideas??

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I must ask how you kick your other trucks and how that gets them going? Do you ride horses and you are drinking while posting?
    Sounds like you may just need to remove the possible and you have answered you own question.
    Remove the cover under the clutch and feel around in there. If you find pieces of springs and such all doubt is removed.
    Sorry but I could not resist. In the south a engine that is misfiring is skipping. Does kicking mean something else or just a misprint?

4. samjward

May 20, 2016
    Haha. When I say "kicking" it almost feels as if the vehicle lunges forward, stops, lunges forward, stops, over and over until it builds up speed. Unfortunately, my last mechanic decided not to put the inspection cover back on, so if anything did fall out, it did on the road. I inspected it earlier today and all looked okay, no broken pieces that I could see.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  5. samjward

May 20, 2016
    RPM's also go up and down during this time.

6. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Around these parts, we call that "clutch chatter." Usually means the clutch needs replaced. But I'd have someone with more knowledge than me take a look at it first. If it was just replaced last year, it shouldn't need it again this soon, unless someone is taking off in the wrong gear and abusing it.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  7. samjward

May 20, 2016
    The rear end was just replaced as well. Could a bad differential cause symptoms like this?

8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    IIRC that freeplay in the pedal means nothing if the clutch adjustments were done at the linkage, not on the clutch itself. If the clutch has been getting adjusted by the linkage only, I would have it done properly at the clutch first and see if that corrects the issue.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  9. samjward

May 20, 2016
    Linkage hasn't been touched. It was adjusted at the clutch each time.

10. Old school 362

Old school 362 Medium Load Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Pensacola Fl
    Check linkage bushings, should be zero play in linkages. And did they install correct clutch for the motors torque. Thinking they put you a weak clutch in your high tongue ratting motor. And yes it's hard to see the all the springs . Only way to knew for sure is remove clutch, being you had adjusted a few times. Tells me they my have cut corners. See if repair bill has clutch info.

11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You mean bucking.

Throws you back and forth in the seat.

Add some fuel #### it let's go. It wants to GO not creep. There is alot that goes on under there.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.