possibly coming back on the road

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by fisher guy, Apr 21, 2016.

1. fisher guy

fisher guy Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Ocala Florida
    It has been over a year since I've been OTR. I've been doing the local thing and haven't had much need for the gadgets but due to an itch i can't scratch, money i can't refuse, and a possible good looking ride i may be coming back out to the big road and turning in my time card for a logbook. Pulling everything heavy fat and tall. Ive always been kind of a tech geek at heart but i'm so far out of the loop its unreal haha. my question to you all whats the newest latest and best GPS's (and yes i will pick up a new laminated Rand Mcnally atlas as well lol), dash cams, (ive been considering buying one for a long time) whats the best app for logging i used to swear by eclipse logbook on my laptop just seeing what else is out there these days (preferably something "adjustable" and that doesnt track and can print out clean professional looking log pages on a dimen and last but not least INTERNET lol i always despised truckstop wifi. have verizon for my phone service but not really in to the high price of the mifi card nor am i looking to sign my life away to contract. Any suggestions? thanx in advance

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    Reason for edit: had to add something
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. free spirited1

free spirited1 Heavy Load Member

Mar 18, 2012
    USA
    So your gonna join us back on the big road, okay well welcome back. As far as GPS go the Rand Mc Nally 730 is pretty good, I like gadgets to, I have the RM 720, it's been good, the upgrade would be the RM 730. I also have a RM 520..lol..their all tools you might say I cut my routes frequently and of course it readjust themselves. Yeah I ran paper logs for years, been on E-Logs for like 5 years now..love them at times and hate them at other times,but I have gotten use to them especially good if your tired or the guy with the gun ask to see your logs..lol. I run all 48 states and major portions of Canada, E-Logs are great for Canada, speaking if Canada I just crossed the border at the Ambassador Bridge last night, I just came all the way across from Quebec and a lot of Ontario, the French I get along with fine. As far as Internet, I'm a little cheap..lol..I have a My-FI card I use at times for my laptop, but I mainly just use my smartphone, I just pay month to month and cost me $45.00 a month, it's cheap, a little trade off us no phone/internet in Canada, but I get out to like 85% if not more in the USA, and no tethering..lol..it's on the Verizon back bone. I use Straight Talk, no contract, I pay month to month..I rarely use a My-FY card it's like 30.00 thru T-Mobile, but like I said I just use my smart phone via Straight Talk, I keep things cheap..lol. Anyways I been using Straight Talk for like 10 yes now, I'm okay with them. If I'm in Canada, I can call my company via their 800# or just grab the Qual-Comm (better known as the squak box). Just curious you don't like local? I know I been OTR so long it would kill my spirit to go local, that's me of course. Well cya on down the road.

MANXimus and carramrod32 Thank this.
  4. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Welcome back to OTR... :)

I run CoPilot on my iPhone and iPad... It has a few limitations but it's the cheapest option out there and can run on my iPhone out of my truck but sometimes you get what you pay for too. I am looking at RM for inside my truck to free up my iPhone from that task while running. And to make up for some of the limitations of CoPilot. As to size, 530/730, it's personal choose.

I run QualComm for eLogs so no help in that area... I like eLogs because I know I would be constraintly be behind on documenting and updating anything that's not automatic. Others will better advise you here.

I use TransFlo App for submitting my paperwork right from my truck but that depends on if your company is setup to use it.

CAT Scales has an in cab app too but I am having trouble getting it set up to use. I think I hosed my account with them and will need to call CAT Scale to fix it. But I hear and believe it would be a great app vs running in and out just to grab paper.

I am currently on Verizon for both phone and data but looking for cheaper options for the data piece. But I currently don't stream anything while OTR so my data needs are minimal. But that may change.

We are moving soon and since ATT bought DiercTV they have a free unlimited data package if you have DiercTV at home. I need to look at those options soon. I was also looking at T-Mobile for their unlimited data options too.

I will be setting up a tv in this new truck and will be adding an AppleTV to it for lite gaming and tossing video up to it from the iPhone.

Yes, I too love my Tech in the Truck and live in an Applecentric World electronically.

Stay Safe,
    MD

5. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    For phone/data I have Verizon.
    Expensive but worth it.
    My experience with TMO and Sprint. There's a reason they're cheaper...

GPS...If you like Dashcam/GPS in one, both Rand McNally and Garmin have one now.

If you don't, for standalone GPS I believe the Rand McNally TND730 and Garmin dezl 770 are the only ones to consider except the 5 inch versions of those.

6. fisher guy

Mar 22, 2009
    Ocala Florida
    Thanx everyone for the great replies I'm a little behind the times I didn't know RM had new version out especially with a dash cam built in I gotta check in to that I used to have the 720 and loved it

As for why I don't like local simply put long story short I came off the road last year after I had a nasty motorcycle wreck I was fine but i came to the conclusion I spent close to 10 yrs OTR and had nothing to show for it except a big bank account. so I left on good terms and nice 4 week notice and left my 90k a year OTR job for a local 40k a year if I'm lucky equipment operator/ low boy driver job. Well now all I do party and chase women on the daily so after thinking about it id rather make the money and just do what I truely love and focus a little more on saving my money I'll just chase the ladies on my home time lol

free spirited1 Thanks this.
  7. free spirited1

Mar 18, 2012
    USA
    Lol..to funny...well yeah we like a lil chasing now and then..oh boy I'm gonna hear it on that one...anyways welcome back on down the road. They call me "snappin fingers n tappin toes" on the road, except when I'm in Canada...their another story there. Oh yes, the dashcam, I have one, I just bought a cheaply Pilot from Walmart..but it works great, I wanted something cheap just to try n see if I liked it, it's been great, had an officer ask me if I saw anything about the biker swerving in and outta lanes in Dallas, I said yes it's on my dash cam, I emailed him a copy after he saw it live on my laptop...so yes their definitely worth it. If I upgrade I may by the Garmin dashcam, but the little Pilot works okay to.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
    Reason for edit: add
    fisher guy Thanks this.
  8. fisher guy

Mar 22, 2009
    Ocala Florida
    nice ill check it out man thanx and ill keep an ear out for ya chances are ill be pulling a 4 axle lowboy and possibly not a 100% will driving a white kw t800 tri axle according to what the new company is saying but we'll find out. My current company just offered me a decent raise to keep me but cannot guarantee on fixing my a/c (going on 3 months now) or fixing anything else that is wrong with the truck SMH and i live in florida so my departure from them seems to imminent lol

9. free spirited1

Mar 18, 2012
    USA
    lol...what?? to funny, they wanna keep you but can't guarantee fixing your truck..you be best to run from them..hee hee...anyways roll on, catch ya on down the road. I'm always at a barn dance somewheres..lol..I'm in WI wit da cheeseheads tonight on my way to MN, I will get a reset in it looks like, ..lol..take care.

fisher guy Thanks this.
  10. realdesertkickin

realdesertkickin Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Tustoned Arizona
    GPS's? you ol farts!!

Download the 'autodrive' app onto your smart device...the autonomous system will take you there!!! LOL

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.