Posting For Good and Bad Brokers

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by khenders, Oct 30, 2007.

1. pjames

pjames Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Does anyone know of some good brokers in California?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. poorboy126

poorboy126 Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Southwest Florida
    Ok so has anyone decided if OOIDA's load board is the best one out there? I've been using getloaded but would like to maybe try a new board if there is a better one out there.

4. Rookie O/O, vet driver

Rookie O/O, vet driver Light Load Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Port Clinton, Ohio
    I use Members Edge (OOIDA). So far, so good. Like any other, some great pay, and some pillage. We just average it out over time, and it shows a decent profit. This business is what you make of it. Long hauls will pay less. But, if you use the mantra of "more money faster" you should be alright. You won't get a 1500 mile run at the same mileage rate as a 300 mile run. I don't care where you run. But, two 300 milers in two days might net a profit (I said profit. This is what it's all about) of $750. And, one 1500 miler in two days might come out to roughly the same. (Just plucking numbers outta the air, here.) It all depends on what you're willing to do, and how hard you're willing to work. The customer is ALWAYS right. And, when you book loads with a broker, that broker IS YOUR CUSTOMER. Just get the rates, including accessorials anticipated, in writing before you agree to anything. THIS is what is meant by FULL DISCLOSURE. If you baulk about what THEY are getting, don't haul for them. Find your own shippers. Business is business. Brokers provide a service. And, they get compensated for such. Put yourself in their shoes before you bash them. Wouldn't YOU do the same things if YOU were THEM? I would. If you're operating a shop, would you only charge what you are paying your help to do the work? That would be business suicide. Just remember. The cream rises to the top.
    I'm not saying there aren't some "shiesters" out there. You gotta do your research. There are some brokers who won't work with you if you haven't been in business for X amount of time. At the same time, we don't work with brokers who've not ben in business for X amount of time. Sometimes, it takes a little longer to get paid. Knock on wood, we've gotten all owed to us, thus far. Don't be afraid to ask for a fuel advance. Some will tell you it makes you sound "unproffessional". I say it will tell you a lot about said brokers financial situation.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  5. MotorinMomma

MotorinMomma Light Load Member

May 5, 2010
    Clinton, IA
    Wow! That sounds EXACTLY like Woodfield.....

6. ultragiatu

ultragiatu Bobtail Member

Jun 18, 2009
    chicago, il
    Hello,
    We have recently started our own business, and we have 2 owner operators, and it is more of a family business. I would like to ask all the other own operators that dispatch themselves, how do you guys check the brokers that you book loads with. I check their credit report, days to pay and make sure that their authority is active. Other than that, what should I check? Also, when you book loads with a new broker, do you always sign a contract with them or is the rate confirmation enough?
    Any info is much appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!

7. newly crusin

newly crusin Medium Load Member

Avoid Transtar Logistics,Inc. out of Jacksonville,Fl.,
    in their brokerage contract it does not state the "days to payment".

I hauled for them several times and received payment within 2 weeks, my last shipment ( it will be the last shipment) took over 60 days to pay.
    I did get paid when I started the claim process against their surity bond.

crusin

8. newly crusin

If you took 45-90 days to pay me,I'd be filing a claim against your bond company, plain and simple.

crusin

9. ultragiatu

ultragiatu Bobtail Member

Jun 18, 2009
    chicago, il
    Thank you for your answers, but let me ask you one more thing. o you always sign a contract when you haul the first load for that broker, or is the rate confirmation considered a contract? Thank you!

10. newly crusin

most "on the level" brokers will require the carrier to sign a brokerage contract and a rate conformation sheet.

I have hauled for a few brokers w/o signing a brokerage contract, but those have paid 100% in full,a few in person , the same day I finished the delivery.

crusin

11. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California
    The service provided by brokers is a risk.
    That's why the middlemen make the Big Bucks.
    :yes2557:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.